Ridge repair

I noticed that there are lumps of cement lying on my roof which have come from the ridge tile joint to the roof. Its only a few years since it was last repaired and I want to have a go at doing it properly so it will last a bit longer. I guess it means lifting each tile and relaing on a bed of fresh mortar. The ridge tiles are half round concrete on top of concrete tiles with a rounded overlap on the ajacent tile which leaves a gap where the ridge meets the roof. Any tips on the best way to acheive a long lasting repair. How long should a proper job last?

Thanks

Archie

Reply to
Archie

10 - 15 years ++ ?

Mine were re-done 1993 and are still OK.

A proper repair involves removing them all and and rebedding them in.

The "Bucket of Jollop" merchants who show up after a storm "Just working down the road" only re-point around them.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Take off the ridge tiles one by one, place the first ridge on top of the other end so there is a one ridge gap. Clean away all loose mortar from the tiles and clean the ridge of mortar. Take off the next ridge and place it in the gap from the first one removed but hang it over the top of the tiles on one side, this will make a platform for a bucket to stand . Repeat this until the end. Mix a sand and cement 2 sand and 1 cement, a stiff mix, don't make it sloppy or it wont stand up in the rolls of the tiles. Get the first ridge tile and place it equal and central to the ridge tree. With the point of the trowel mark the edge of the ridge on the tiles. Remove the ridge and fill the pan of the rolls with mortar and across the top of the rolls the length of the first ridge inside of the mark. Do not fill the under side of the ridge solid. Place a piece broken tile level with the ends of the verge across the two end tiles making sure that it doesn't fowl the underside of the ridge. Fill the end on top of the piece of tile with mortar about 3" or

75mm . align the ridge central and tap down until it touches the top of the rolls. Scrap of the mortar along the side and point. If the mortar is to wet all it will do is sag, this is no good. Repeat until you get to the end filling in the joint as at the start. When you get to the end put the end ridge on first and the second from the end last, you may have to open the joint or re cut the second from the ridge to fit. Dont forget to point both end ridge.
Reply to
keith_765

Thanks keith. I can't quite work out how you make a platform for the bucket though. Since I live in a semi, Is it OK to start at the center of the roof and work towards the gable end?

Archie

Reply to
Archie

Thanks keith. I can't quite work out how you make a platform for the bucket though. The ridge are either segmental or half round. If you try to balance a bucket of mortar on the ridge it will roll off. By seating the ridge tile over the top of the tiles on one side the ridge will support one half and the tiles on the other side will support the other half of the base of the buckit.

Yes its better to start in the centre but remember to fix the end ridge next to last as you may have to adjust or cut the second one in to fiit the gap.