This is fascinating.

Someone posted up that real time grid frequency meter.

That lead me to the real time carbon figure for electricity generation. Which is 'above average' (just).

because its a blowy day, the wind turbines are spinning (for once) at near full capacity..

what does it take to get carbon down? switch the windmills OFF?

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tim Streater

Dunno. worked for me earlier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Carbon is essential to life. Anyone who says that carbon is pollution is ignorant or is a liar or is trying to get money for research that doesn't need to be done.

Reply to
Matty F

Works fine here. Are you giving the page sufficient time to update - particularly if you are on a slow link - I think the page loads without any data at first, because it's a real time service, then downloads the latest data afterwards.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Likewise sodium - here - have a spoonful. (insert smiley of choice here)

Reply to
Skipweasel

crap, but the real-time grid frequency meter at

is indeed interesting, as is the bmreports stuff you linked to below.

Reply to
Manticore

Unfortunately, the frequency has been static at 49.970Hz since that link was posted previously so, as it says there, "... the needle should move most of the time. If it stays still ... there's probably a fault at our end ..."

Reply to
Terry Casey

That's probably about right for this time of day..

This nice warmer windy weather has made windpower look almost useful for almost two days..it wont last though.:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well it still rock solid at 49.970Hz but NETA says 50.049Hz - and constantly varying - so I think it's buggered ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

And in the few minutes since that post, it's been down to 49.975Hz, up to

50.049Hz and now back to 50.009Hz but the 'real-time' grid frequency meter is still stuck on 49.970Hz. I rest my case ...
Reply to
Terry Casey

Yup I think it prolly is !

I wonder if some sort of constant access to a bit of neta is possible.

I'd like to add that to my panels of computer and broadband monitoring.

The Natural Philosopher

+0000

frequency only by unticking all the other boxes but why not measure it yourself, like Dynamic Demand do (or similar):

get yours to work properly!

Reply to
Terry Casey

+0000

Tis done!

to add in bloody wind.

Gosh, They got a grant for that site which I could have written in a week or less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

4 +0000

:03 +0000

2011

Whenever I see the local wind turbine doing nothing I always think of your posts, Natural Philosopher! It's a big business and you can even be a professor in it:

I now realise that just because they are turning it's not always good news. An aquaintance of mine is getting PV soloar panels under some grant scheme. He cares less about the environment (commutes in a new Defender), but rather the 43p per unit whether he uses it or not. I was telling him about the diesel gennies feeding in at night in Spain.

Reply to
Part timer

to part with the PHP for the dials, or tell us where you got it?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sure.

's all the dials and panel code and images bar the actual grab off the BMreports site.

It is is essentially a crude hack to grab and display snmp data on dials

To get that data into snmp, is what I haven't put there,

you will need the GD php library to 'make the dials'

You should be able to hack that lot about - or if you just want dials, insert the right in your HTML and dials will appear..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks very much. I'm thinking of a new 'skin' for nut, for a start...

Reply to
Bob Eager

grab off

Aye, thanks very much I liked the dials as well and wondered were they came from. Haven't got an immediate use but may well invent one. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can do custom 3D graffix to order really, if its a fun project.

These dials came out of a request for a photo realistic dashboard for a model plane.

It was only a step to sticking them on a website.

Likewise the bezels are designed to neaten up MRTG graphs.

Which look really dull in native form. Some day I will rewrite MRTG..in a proper language..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher