Polystyrene Coving ,,,

I've only used it in one house. S couple of coats of emulsion hid the texture.

That's why you need to glue it straight and fill the gaps

Only plaster.

I have plaster coving in one room and a polystyrene centre rose. Can't really tell the difference unless you are 8 foot tall

Reply to
Alang

Not on any I've put up

Why do you think so much was ripped out in the 60s?

Reply to
Alang

Because the builders who ripped them out were numbskulls,take my CH heating installers for instance...they were going to chase out the fancy victorian coving in one corner by the gas cupboard not to mention the hall coving as well, there would have been murder if they had done that and its a good job I asked where the pipes were going to be positioned before the work started..

A room looks bare and depressing without some sort of decorative features

Reply to
George

That would be "you're" then ...

Grow up, sonny.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It seems to me that none of the people who are making the negative comments, have a daughter who has just moved into her first house, and is struggling to make ends meet. The polystyrene stuff, whilst not being the one of choice for most of us more discerning types, is cheap, easy to fix - especially in a bathroom with tiles right up to the ceiling - and suited her just fine. The hot wire cutter that I made did a near-perfect job of cutting it, such that filling, other than by the paint which went on it afterwards, was not required.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

How much did it cost? honest figure.

Reply to
George

Forget that its dearer than plaster type. :-)

George

30 or higher amperage Fuse wire? attached to an non conductive U shaped former and a 12v battery possibly an alarm typed seald unit? Attach both ends of the fuse wire to battery.
Reply to
George

:-) neat,why didn't I think of this.

George

They were often removed because of decorating fashion. Bucknellisation as it became known

I use pictures and change them frequently

Reply to
Alang

what ever "face & bovered"

Reply to
Kevin

Yehbut she's got a rich dad. That's what they're for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pictures, calendars, photos, flying geese and plasma TVs are all far better than coving.

Reply to
dennis

Two words Dennis...

Features Decor

Features = Give character to a home Decor = shows the taste of the homes occupants.

Reply to
George

Features.. a bit of decor that isn't easy enough to replace.

Reply to
dennis

When I last used it you could do a room for £20-30 with the paper-wrapped poly stuff. Very cheap & tidy way of sorting out problems with the wall-ceiling join line.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I must admit I've not seen that stuff in use. Polystyrene - to me - always looks like what it is, due to the texture.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Plaster coving ... lasts longer than a marriage.

Somehow I can't see the telly adverts...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've mailed you direct off-group, using the address you posted this from.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Nudge,nudge...wink,wink. lol