Pointing tool

+1
FWIW on the off-topic topic: we also get corvids (jackdaws in our case) giving the gutters and roof moss a going-over. They must be after worms (in the gutters) and anything else they can find (in the roof moss).
J.
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:47:50 +0000, Another John wrote:

Here it seems to be mostly blackbirds. Very useful - the gutters hardly need cleaning and the roof moss tends to be pecked off.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 13/02/2016 18:19, Mary Fisher wrote:

Welcome back Mary! Where have you been all this time, you old rogue?!
As various people have said, you need a mortar rake - and versions are available either for a drill or for an angle grinder - but I'm not aware that any of them have a depth stop as such.
You could, of course, just use a masonry cutting disc in a 4 1/2" angle grinder. That will be self-limiting for depth 'cos it will only go in for an inch or so before the hub hits the brickwork.
They all make an awful lot of dust, so make sure that spouse wears a decent face mask.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Marks more sense to put one in a hand held circular saw and use the much better depth setting system those have instead.

Only dry masonry creates dust :-), and the drill bit is slow enough not to throw stuff everywhere. Easy to poke into the bits the chisel doesn't dislodge. Suck it and see really
On 14/02/2016 10:09, stuart noble wrote:

When you grind mortar out, dust is what you get!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 9:16:04 PM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:

Eve just before the extended Bank Holiday and all the historic piping havi ng to be re-plumbed and all the parts we ordered having taken ages to be de livered :-( It's been c-c-c-cold but since Wednesday we've been WARM :-)

from the gutter but was sorted by Spouse. But while he was up there he not iced that the pointing on that corner was, shall we say, lacking somewhat. We pointed all the walls fifty some years ago when we moved in here.

hlike and which will excavate the gap to a specified limit.

moss. Never known that before!

Where have I been?
Here. But I had to get a new isp and Zen, for all it's a superb one, doesn' t support newsgroups. I have to go through Google and it's a waste of life.
Life's the one thing I don't want to waste :-)
But it's good to see so many familiar names AND to be remembered. Or perhap s it's due to notoriety rather than esteem ...
I'll come beck.
Oh, and presently he's creating much muck and dust in the kitchen by drilli ng the brickwork to make room for a new extractor fan. He cleaned the carpo rt roof yesterday and now half of that is covered with mortar and brick dus t too. Perhaps the snow will shift it outside but preparing food in the kit chen is difficult without ensuring a gritty texture to everything. The goat leg is safely roasting in the oven but vegetables and the Valentine's Day pudding (we rarely have pudding) will have to be done in the dining room. S ometimes I'm not keen on DIY but, in my very limited experience, tradesmen make even more mess.
On 14/02/2016 14:22, Mary Fisher wrote:

Many ISPs don't support newsgroups - as in having their own news servers - but that doesn't mean that Google is your only option. It would be most people's *last* port of call!
There are a number of independent news-servers out there, which are not tied to any particular ISP - some are free and some are not.
If you look at the headers of this message, you'll see that I'm posting via news.individual.net - which costs me the princely sum of 10 Euros per annum. My ISP is PlusNet - which *does* have a news server of sorts - but I still prefer to pay a few bob to use a better one.
There are free ones out there too - Eternal September springs to mind - which may be worth looking at.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 2/14/2016 3:52 PM, Roger Mills wrote:

I used to use that, but since moving to PlusNet I find theirs OK on Thunderbird.
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 3:51:57 PM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:

TEN EUROS??
I'm a Yorkshireman. No way
On Sunday, 14 February 2016 20:21:40 UTC, Mary Fisher wrote:

Thee are?
Owain
On 14-Feb-16 8:21 PM, Mary Fisher wrote:

I am with Zen also Mary and I use AIOE (http://news.aioe.org /) for newsgroups. It does have some limitations but it is free.
--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

After BT stopped access to Newsgroups I was not happy to say the least with their special offer of a subscription to giganews which was more expensive than going direct. However other newsgroup users recommended 2 free news servers nntp.aioe.org as above (AIOE - http://news.aioe.org/ ) which I now use and also Eternal September http://www.eternal-september.org/
Perhaps you would like to use one of those rather than Google.
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 15:52:31 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

I set my brother up with an eternal september account recently but as he's never known the joys of usenet, I suspect it was just a waste of time.
I was lucky. When BNL finally figured out how to turn zetnet's unique news server off, after a year's worth of free access on my part due to their sheer incompetence, I was able to configure FreeAgent to use NTL's news server which, for the time being, lives on under the virginmedia banner. For how long, I don't really know but I expect to be creating an eternal september account sometime along the line as yet another large scale isp operator decides to shut down its news server.
--
Johnny B Good

I am sure some would ask if your favourite mode of transport is still a broomstick:-)
Nice to see you here again
--
Adam

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 5:43:30 PM UTC, ARW wrote:

Well, I tend to fall of my bike and hate sitting as a pillion passenger so the broomstick is all that's left when I don't want to spend money on fuel.
thank you - sorry, I don't remember an Adam. That's another problem with getting to my age.
On Saturday, 13 February 2016 18:19:39 UTC, Mary Fisher wrote:

ve just before the extended Bank Holiday and all the historic piping having to be re-plumbed and all the parts we ordered having taken ages to be deli vered :-( It's been c-c-c-cold but since Wednesday we've been WARM :-)

rom the gutter but was sorted by Spouse. But while he was up there he notic ed that the pointing on that corner was, shall we say, lacking somewhat. We pointed all the walls fifty some years ago when we moved in here.

ike and which will excavate the gap to a specified limit.

ss. Never known that before!
The tools needed are a hammer an a seaming chisel. Nothing to do with electric drills.

To loosen the pointing before hammer and chiselling it our i'd use a light drill with a narrow masonary bit and that rod thing sticking out the front to adjust the depth, it touches the brick when you're deep enough. [george]