Pointing tool

To loosen the pointing before hammer and chiselling it our i'd use a light drill with a narrow masonary bit and that rod thing sticking out the front to adjust the depth, it touches the brick when you're deep enough. [george]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Jackdaws in my case

Reply to
newshound

Me too, given that additional information. Whereas (IMHO) the diamond disk is less suitable for loose weak or decayed stuff.

Reply to
newshound

When you grind mortar out, dust is what you get!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Eve just before the extended Bank Holiday and all the historic piping havi ng to be re-plumbed and all the parts we ordered having taken ages to be de livered :-( It's been c-c-c-cold but since Wednesday we've been WARM :-)

from the gutter but was sorted by Spouse. But while he was up there he not iced that the pointing on that corner was, shall we say, lacking somewhat. We pointed all the walls fifty some years ago when we moved in here.

hlike and which will excavate the gap to a specified limit.

moss. Never known that before!

Where have I been?

Here. But I had to get a new isp and Zen, for all it's a superb one, doesn' t support newsgroups. I have to go through Google and it's a waste of life.

Life's the one thing I don't want to waste :-)

But it's good to see so many familiar names AND to be remembered. Or perhap s it's due to notoriety rather than esteem ...

I'll come beck.

Oh, and presently he's creating much muck and dust in the kitchen by drilli ng the brickwork to make room for a new extractor fan. He cleaned the carpo rt roof yesterday and now half of that is covered with mortar and brick dus t too. Perhaps the snow will shift it outside but preparing food in the kit chen is difficult without ensuring a gritty texture to everything. The goat leg is safely roasting in the oven but vegetables and the Valentine's Day pudding (we rarely have pudding) will have to be done in the dining room. S ometimes I'm not keen on DIY but, in my very limited experience, tradesmen make even more mess.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Rooks and Blackbirds here in Sussex. The latter insists on levelling out my compost heap in the search for worms.

Reply to
Andrew

Many ISPs don't support newsgroups - as in having their own news servers

- but that doesn't mean that Google is your only option. It would be most people's *last* port of call!

There are a number of independent news-servers out there, which are not tied to any particular ISP - some are free and some are not.

If you look at the headers of this message, you'll see that I'm posting via news.individual.net - which costs me the princely sum of 10 Euros per annum. My ISP is PlusNet - which *does* have a news server of sorts

- but I still prefer to pay a few bob to use a better one.

There are free ones out there too - Eternal September springs to mind - which may be worth looking at.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I used to use that, but since moving to PlusNet I find theirs OK on Thunderbird.

Reply to
newshound

I am sure some would ask if your favourite mode of transport is still a broomstick:-)

Nice to see you here again

Reply to
ARW

Well, I tend to fall of my bike and hate sitting as a pillion passenger so the broomstick is all that's left when I don't want to spend money on fuel.

thank you - sorry, I don't remember an Adam. That's another problem with getting to my age.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

TEN EUROS??

I'm a Yorkshireman. No way

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thee are?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I am with Zen also Mary and I use AIOE

for newsgroups. It does have some limitations but it is free.

Reply to
Old Codger

After BT stopped access to Newsgroups I was not happy to say the least with their special offer of a subscription to giganews which was more expensive than going direct. However other newsgroup users recommended 2 free news servers nntp.aioe.org as above (AIOE -

) which I now use and also Eternal September

Perhaps you would like to use one of those rather than Google.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

I set my brother up with an eternal september account recently but as he's never known the joys of usenet, I suspect it was just a waste of time.

I was lucky. When BNL finally figured out how to turn zetnet's unique news server off, after a year's worth of free access on my part due to their sheer incompetence, I was able to configure FreeAgent to use NTL's news server which, for the time being, lives on under the virginmedia banner. For how long, I don't really know but I expect to be creating an eternal september account sometime along the line as yet another large scale isp operator decides to shut down its news server.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

+1

FWIW on the off-topic topic: we also get corvids (jackdaws in our case) giving the gutters and roof moss a going-over. They must be after worms (in the gutters) and anything else they can find (in the roof moss).

J.

Reply to
Another John

Here it seems to be mostly blackbirds. Very useful - the gutters hardly need cleaning and the roof moss tends to be pecked off.

Reply to
PeterC

crows, magpies, all looking for food.

Reply to