Pointing gulleys

We have those gulleys (I think that's what you call them) that have a metal grid cover over one half, and a pointed up drainpipe going into the other. Over the years, some of the pointing has broken, so some of them are open on the drainpipe half. I expect the frost does it. I've always meant to do something with them, but it was never a priority until our three year old boy started throwing handfuls of chippings down them, and I'm fed up of unblocking the things. Plus, the neighbour fished a dead hedgehog out of one of his.

Anyway, I was wondering what you'd cover the hole up with before starting to point it. My father-in-law used to nibble a piece of slate into the right shape with a pair of pliers, but I'm not going to be able to reproduce that :) Or is there a completely different way of tackling the problem these days? I don't fancy those big plastic covers.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

They are called back entry/inlet gulleys. Not quite sure what you're on about. The point is usually put in on top of gaskin (looks like rope) if it is earthenware. pipe.

Reply to
harry

They are called back entry/inlet gulleys. Not quite sure what you're on about. The point is usually put in on top of gaskin (looks like rope) if it is earthenware. pipe.

-----

It's where the plastic drainpipes come down off the roof, and pour into at ground level. That's one half. The other is probably for surface water, because there's just a grill on it.

This is the nearest thing I can find:

except there's something in the far half of that one that I don't have. Mine are just open but pointed arounf the drain pipe that goes down into it. But without something to support it, I'd just be pouring mortar into the hole. Like I say, father-in-law used to do it with old slate tiles chipped into shape. In the absence of that, I was just wondering what else I might use that would last as long without rotting.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

I would take some measurements and go down to your local builders merchant and see what they have. You might have to modify something.

Reply to
harry

I would take some measurements and go down to your local builders merchant and see what they have. You might have to modify something.

-----

Okay, thanks. I'm looking at a plastic milk bottle that might be cut into shape.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp