Plumbing in a towel radiator

I bought a B&Q towel rad, and a pair of valves. I thought the valve threads would be taper fit, but they're not; they don't tighten to seal. I managed to seal the non-tap side with ptfe, but the tap-valve has too short a thread. Tips on getting a seal? Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs

Fernox LS-X.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well I am sure they are taper fit, but as with all taper threads, they are designed to seal with a "Helping Hand" whether that be from PTFE or Fernox LS-X. It should just be a case of adding more PTFE.

Hope this helps, Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

What do you mean by tap-valve?

Your radiator may have screw-in plugs at the top, one or both with air bleed valves (or maybe one is blank) and these should have rubber rings to seal them. Fernox LS-X or silicone bathroom sealant would do if the rings are missing.

The radiator valves tails seal into the radiator with PTFE wrapped around them (or silicone/LSX). The joints between rad valves and pipe are compression requiring a copper or brass olive and require no sealant.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Are you really? They are not taper fit, which is why I said quite clearly 'they're not taper fit.'

Go to B&Q and check if you still don't believe me. ..................................................

Anyway thanks all for advice. Got it done

tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs