New Radiator Valves..

I'm in the process of fotting a new towel radiator and have a pair of valves for it - Never done one before.

Now, as far as I can see, there's no end-stops for the valves which screw into the radiator, so the only thing that would seal them is PTFE tape wrapped round the threads of the valve.. Is this right, or am I missing some vital part?

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

There's a cup and cone joint in there. It's meant to seal itself.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Hm. Not on the radiator I have )-:

It's

I don't have the valves that are at the bottom of that page, the ones I do have are almost identical and basically screw into the holes in the radiator)

Puzzled now ...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

OK. I think I've sussed it now - the tails on the valves appear to be tapered, so with PTFE they will seal inside the radiator...

I hope..

Thanks,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Correct. Wrap about 5 or 6 turns of tape around the male threaded portion. It's important to get it the direction right. With the end of the male part of the tail that will go into the radiator pointing towards you, wrap the tape clockwise. Then as you screw in the tail, the tape will tend to tighten rather than unravelling.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall