plastic pushfit plumbing reliability

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Sure. But that's why they remain fitters.

Intelligent plumbers -- or intelligent persons of any rade or profession or of none -- will want to know WHY something fails.

Granted, good design should reduce the risk of failure, but even the best designs can be badly fitted.

Reply to
Appin

In message , Appin writes

Well, Drivel's your man for that ...

Reply to
geoff

The point I clearly made was that the fitters have no control of the internal manufacturing of the pushfit fitting. Totally out of their control.

I clearly made the point that these fitting were "correctly" fitted. I have had grab rings fail on Hep2O when a one lever shower mixer was slammed off and the shock wave pushed the pushfit fitting off. This fitting held for weeks, then a shock,then an a full open end under the floor.

In short only use plastic pipe where you need to. Avoid pushfit fitting, plastic or brass, use Conex compression fittings instead and give lots of slack for expansion of the pipe.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maxie, you are breath of fresh air.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please use a hacksaw and don't trim off. Please do.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What pressure did they test first fix under? If they did test. Many test from 10 to 18 bar to be sure as they have been bitten in the past.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Extraordinary. Was there very high water pressure? IIRC Hep20 is specced up to some ridiculously high pressure which I wouldn't have expected water hammer to overcome (taken together with the slight elasticity of the pipe).

I have a nagging concern that plastic pipe could creep out of a compression fitting under repeated water hammer conditions.

Reply to
John Stumbles

On Dec 13, 11:39 am, "Doctor Drivel" wrote: ?I have

You need to follow the instructions - to the letter.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Do you mean he shouldn't have cut the pipe with a hacksaw?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I needed not to use push-fit fittings.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That and more...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Probably best.

However, you do need to follow the instructions to use solder or compression fittings as well, so I am not sure that there's much hope really.

Reply to
Andy Hall

  • Cut the pipe squarely.
  • Ensure pipe end is clean, free from burrs and surface damage.

Always ensure above.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you are learning at last.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you don't use solder with push-fit fittings. Duh!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Indeed, excellent advice. Some pillocks try to cut the tube with a hacksaw and make a complete lash up of the job.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well no. I don't, but you might.

Reply to