Plastic glue

I have a broken water tank from a Vax floor cleaner. Its thin blow moulded clear plastic, but has no markings to indicate what plastic. It seems a bit more rigid than polypropylene, and is fully clear. Question is what glue w ould be best to use? If I dont know I'll probably use cyanoacrylate, reinfo rcing the joints with silicone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Self amalgamating tape?

Reply to
Capitol

Cyanoacrylate won't survive long when wet. I'd be inclined to guess at polystyrene, acrylic or polycarbonate as the clear rigid plastic.

Try a spot of model making polystyrene cement and see if it softens the plastic if it does then you are in business. If not then try one either a specific acrylic glue like I did recently or a high tack PU glue.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Think that's probably perspex. Chloroform was the solvent used.

Might be polystyrene in which case plastic modelling cement would work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Other posters have already advised on glues. When repairing such things I tend to reinforce the glue with ordinary PVC (electrical) tape, applied "stretched". You can also get good tapes, normally 50 mm, both clear plastic and aluminium, for repairing things like greenhouses. These could go on the wet side. A lot depends on the geometry of the break, try to apply the tape to put the joint in compression after applying the glue. Tape also provides backup sealing if there are chips of material missing.

Reply to
newshound

ded clear plastic, but has no markings to indicate what plastic. It seems a bit more rigid than polypropylene, and is fully clear. Question is what gl ue would be best to use? If I dont know I'll probably use cyanoacrylate, re inforcing the joints with silicone.

I've far more faith in silicone personally, hence the plan to use that to w aterproof & reinforce.

Thanks

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If it helps any an edge deformed slightly when boiling water was poured on for 20 seconds. I guess I'll have to get these glues online, can't think where would have it locally.

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Weld it,Google plastic welding,loads of utube stuff on it,can even be done with a soldering iron.

Reply to
F Murtz

The manufacturer's recommendation against adding alcohol based products to the water tank suggests to me that it might be polycarbonate.

Reply to
Nightjar

Why did it break in the first place. If it has become brittle due to poor storage in a loft or cgarage in extremes of heat and cold, all you will do is put off the inevitable next crack. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No but some kind of puncture reparing substance might keep it going a bit longer as long as its not under pressure or needs to look good. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I used to repair plastic watering cans with a dow Corning product called Urethane bond. It was quite expensive though. Not seen it lately, maybe it was bad for you! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Difficult without knowing the plastic ... you could try plumbing solvent adhesive ... as used on waste pipes ... will solvent weld ABS and uPVC

or try the way my dad used to repair my footballs ... heat a skewer until red hot and apply it to crack .... could do air-tight repairs on footballs.

Reply to
Rick Hughes