Plaster in an applicator

Can anyone tell me if plaster is available in a filler applicator type of tube. I need to use same for filling around / securing electrical socket boxes.

Yaz

Reply to
Yaz

Haven't seen it and can't say I've ever felt the need for it in tubes. It's easy enough to just mix up whatever amount you need .

..I presume you mean the sort of cartridges you use in a sealant gun... I'd guess there would be issues about it going off "in the tube" between uses .

As for securing the boxes are you not screwing them to whatever is behind .

Reply to
Stuart B

This is a DIY group!

Take one empty sealant cartridge (e.g. silicone, solvent free adhesive) remove the plunger and clean out. Fill with one-coat plaster. Replace plunger. Apply.

And here's one we made earlier ... :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

or if too lazy, just use a decorators filler cartridge. Same difference.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Polyfilla in a squeezy tube.

Reply to
Bob Eager

. . . or in an icing bag (when SWMBO's not looking!)

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've recently seen PolyFilla in both a big toothpaste sort of tube and a mastic-gun cartridge, which looked like fun if you find that sort of thing fun.

I so rarely get round to doing anything DIY (beyond reading this group) that I find the mix-it-yourself powder more useful than pre- fixed, and I've got a little rubber mixing pot (made by Taylor) which is easy to clean out afterwards.

The other essential tool is an ex-kitchen knife (3" Kitchen Devil veg knife) blunted down a bit, which is both flexible & pointy for getting the stuff caulked in properly.

Al

Reply to
Al, Cambridge, UK

In message , John Stumbles writes

Decorators caulk?

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

How does one do that, I know the Durgun (Sp?) can be used to remove the plungers but how can it be done with 'normal' tools etc?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Solvent free Gripfill. Dries white, takes paint - and the boxes won't ever come out!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

just push the plunger back with a bit of rod or dowel

Reply to
John Stumbles

Get down, Shep.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't think plaster in a cartridge would work, any more than it does with mortar. Cartridge products have a uniform consistency, usually based on an acrylic resin.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Durgun actually market a 'mortar applicator'. AIUI; it's primarily targeted at the pointing requirement. The demo's I've seen show the applicator loaded with mortar and the nozzle formed from a small length of copper (22mm?) tube squeezed with pliers to the width required. { I don't own such a device - merely seen it demonstrated} . I think (or am at least persuaded by Durgun ] that mortar 'would work'. Your opinion may differ.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I bought one a few years back and it didn't work for me. The solids become progressively compressed so that, even if you can force them through the nozzle, you're certainly getting a different consistency from the first squeeze.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Oh dear! What's that baby elephant done on the studio floor?

Reply to
John Stumbles

One-coat plaster does, mortar doesn't. I've tried both.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I suppose there are applications where gunned plaster might be useful, but I can't think of any offhand.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Girl guides roasting on an open fire...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I used it to fill a yawning chasm between a bath & wall so I could seal it.

Reply to
John Stumbles