pir floodlight recommendations plse

Because people are daft and want their outside areas lit up to clear summers day levels. Which means that for security purposes they are hopeless as any semblance of night vision is destroyed and they cannot see anything beyound the pool of blinding light.

CFLs vary some come on very dim when cold (as in outside winter zero or below cold) others are much better. Most of the outside lights here have

60W GLS bulbs, enough light to see by and not so much as to make anything outside the immediate area just black. One is CFL but that is used a lot, the others might get a days use/year...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It may well be the same problem that "ordinary" PIRs have with CFLs. The detector sit's in series with the switch live and has no neutral. The tiny amount of power that the PIR needs doesn't give a problem to tungsten lamps but can make CFLs intermittently flash, particulary when warm. LED drivers may do something similar.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

replace with? Same? Other? What reliable brands co I looking for ?

Oops.

Peter Johnson

In article , Fred writes

For large area coverage I think single point lighting is better high up and the sensor better a bit lower, say 2.5-3m, so separate sensor and light is better in that instance.

I'd happily see that particular 'feature' disappear from them all, frequently it's a hidden function that you don't find out about until you get the unit home. Fortunately the Steinel unit I recently installed doesn't have it and I was able to check the downloadable manual before purchase but you don't get many to the pound.

Reply to
fred