Winch or Hoist

following on from recent post on using a Winch.

I am going to be fitting a winch/hoist at far end of garage bolted to a frame fixed to concrete floor.

As I have mains power thought it would make sense to use something like this:

know normally they would be fitted 'above' with a vertical drop ....... but can anybody think of a reason why I could not fit horizontally to give pull parallel to floor ?

Or do I need to use this type ...

the latter then I would also need to add a 12V battery ... I'm guessing making a DC psu that can handle the amperage and maintain 12V would not be an easy option.

It is rated at either 66A or 84A depending on version I bought .... (I'll pitch a separate post on this)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

>> I know normally they would be fitted 'above' with a vertical drop

The Silverline hoist looks pretty good value to me. (At that price I would be even less inclined to reach underneath a load than I would normally). Obviously you have to be careful not to pull at much of an angle, although you could install fixed "guides" instead of a fairlead to restrain the feed direction to the pulley. This probably has the cheapest (and least flexible) type of wire rope, so it will tend to "birdcage" off the pulley if there isn't a constant load on it. That's one of the reasons for the red weight just above the hook (not just to trip the overheight limit switch).

I expect the hoist will run quite a bit faster than the winch (noting its lower pull rating).

The winch is probably a better solution, in truth. But as you say, you have the problem of the cost of a power supply (see my resp to your other post)

Reply to
newshound

>> I know normally they would be fitted 'above' with a vertical drop

How far do you want to move the boat using the winch/hoist? The cheaper mains model will only move it 5 metres[1] if you double it up to get a

250Kg pull. Is that enough?

[1] At a time. You could, of course use an intermediate rope which you keep shortening - and run the hoist out again to get multiple 5 metre steps - but that would be a right pain

Reply to
Roger Mills