So harry was right, you're trolling.

Reply to
Richard

En el artículo , MrCheerful escribió:

Lol!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , MrCheerful escribió:

OK, and how much would a broken one, usable as a cheapo plumbing heat mat, have cost?

It was only a suggestion, I'm sorry if it doesn't meet with your approval :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

resin will work with clean bright pipework. Are they making the pipes as well?

Flux costs less than 5 meters of copper pipe..

£2.62 for enough to plumb a couple of houses.

On the same site. £2.47 for a meter of copper pipe.

Wirewool and mats are equally cheap. Anything will do for a mat that is an insulator that doesn't burn.

*shrug* if there is water, yes. The point is that civilised plumbing doesn't spring to life in a vacuum. I've lived in Africa. You import huge amounts of basic stuff until local industries can make it. That is how you develop a country.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Let's say that by importing torches mats and fluxes and even solders, the cost will still be WAY less than the cost of the copper pipes and fittings.

In other words, it doesn't matter. Far better to start by making pipes in local factories, and leave the soldering accessories till later.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+10001
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

couple of years back. Very cheap in 3rd world countries. Not very good with heat though. Tends to split and crack if at all wet

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Slate's good if they can take direct fire. Can they?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Copper pipe is an unncessary £25 spend then

Use bamboo.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LOL!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tallow is 10s of pence for enough to plumb a street IIRC. Gutter grease is cheaper. This is to teach work skills.

of course, the question is what. Tin & cardboard isn't ideal, the torch can dry & burn it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

This is to teach work skills. Nothing is being imported.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ely as here. An unnecessary £5 spend is out of the question.

I'm sure that where bamboo's available and good enough they do. Again, copper pipe is sold & used over there for some jobs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

where is the pipe made?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, I get you, perhaps some odd bit of slate they could find on the ground as opposed to buy. Sorry.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Tallow isn't flux. It's used on a wiping cloth to prevent the solder sticking to the cloth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I read kitchen green scourers were actually recommended as wire wool can leave steel crap in the pipe which damages boilers.

FWIW I tried a couple of weeks ago and green scourers do appear to work quite quickly.

Reply to
Nick

I can tell you it jams solder fittings such that they won't budge (without soldering). When I filled a 28mm pipe with dry sand to bend it, I temporarily pushed capiliary endcaps on to stop the sand running out. No way would either one come off afterwards (and they were nowhere near the bend deformation). I had to cut the ends off the pipe and chuck them with the end-caps. (Fortunately, I had allowed spare pipe and not accurately measured the bend from an end.)

BTW, I cleaned the pipe afterwards by sucking a large cotton wool ball through it many times with the vacuum cleaner.

The other way my old 'Working with copper' book gives for bending pipe is to fill the pipe with molten lead and seal the ends. Then bend it and the pressure in the lead will prevent it collapsing. It wouldn't surprise me if that method was still used in the 3rd world.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel