Heating oil (kerosene) lubrication

Talking to a guy who repairs oil fired domestic boilers, and he was saying that the formulation of domestic heating oil has changed (less sulphur?), which means less lubrication of moving parts. He therefore recommended I add lubricant to the oil to protect the pump. Exocet or Rhino kero-lube.

Anyone aware of this, or is it snake oil?

Reply to
Graeme

I thimk there is a frain of truth in there somewhere, but I am pretty sure he hasnt really got it 100% right.

IN Agas you need to add an additive because the new fuel tends to carbon up the feed pipe to the burner in under 6 months, when they used to last over a year.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like snake oil to me. To have any significant effect, you'd need huge quantities that'd cost a fortune. And thoroughly mixing it with the fuel would be a big problem.

Think of diesel fuel in a car. The injector pump is far higher stressed yet the fuel alone lubricates it.

Reply to
harry

I just don't know. Googling the subject returns the usual million hits, but most of the recommendations are from suppliers. Quelle surprise.

Reply to
Graeme

However surely the presence of alien oil would affect the burning. Look how nuch stink comes from 2 stroke lawn mowers! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe aliens are cleaner burning.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

2-strokes run rich and don't burn all their fuel. Diesels run very lean and do burn all their fuel, additives and all. Especially turbocharged ones that always have enough air.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I quite like the smell of 2-stroke. Or jet engines.

The smoke from a diesel exhaust, OTOH - yuck. And even the new ones smoke if you boot them hard.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It doesn't like you though.

harry

replying to Graeme, Rsfocus wrote: Yes I have just replace my pump because of this

Reply to
Rsfocus

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I doubt that will mean much to them. Simpler advice would be dump that silly website & post here from somewhere more sensible. This is news:uk.d-i-y.

Of course that might not mean much to them either.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They'll think it's a typo for :-)