Oil central heating - pros and cons?

We're looking for a new home in the Shropshire/Welsh borders area. However, nearly all the properties we like have oil central heating. The last time we had oil heating was during the oil crisis of the 1970s, and with the ever-increasing bills at the time I swore I would never have oil again.

Any comments on the practicalities of today's oil heating? Oil costs vs natural gas? LPG?

Reply to
ian

Oil is more expensive. Price rises and fall and fill up in summer when cheaper. The key is zone up the heating system to heat only occupied spaces and insulate the hell out of the place to reduce heating needs. Oil boilers work more efficiently with thermal stores with one long oil burn. Get a condensing model.

Reply to
timegoesby

Just bought at 30.25p/l. A l of oil gets you about 10kW of energy so crudely that is 3p/kW. LPG is nearer or above 40p/l and you are generall= y tied to a supplier via the storage tank, I don't think you can shop arou= nd like you can with oil. I got quotes from 30.25 to 31.9, =A330+ differenc= e when buying 2000l.

Haven't a clue what natural gas prices are but that isn't relevant if th= e place hasn't got NG. Installation costs would be astronomical unless the= a suitable main is within a few tens of yards and even then you'll be looking at a few thousand.

The price of oil does vary but it tracks the crude price reasonably well= , have NG prices dropped back yet from last winters well publisiced rises?= Oil is not quite so dependant on what Russia deceides the price is going= to be either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oil is more expensive than what - gas? LPG? both?

I assume that the OP is considering buying a property somewhere where there is no mains gas available - so it's a choice between oil and LPG. Which is cheaper?

Reply to
Roger Mills

We normally pay around that, but I was accidentally quoted (and bought 1900l) at 29.8 a few months ago. 29.8 was almost their zero profit selling price.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Oil is great. We had oil at our last place, and have oil again here. It's convenient and easy to use, and you can store a lot more energy in the same volume compared to LPG.

Yes prices go up and down with the price of crude oil, but they do for all fuels - oil is no exception.

Reply to
Grunff

How long ago is "a few months" back in Jan/Feb the crude price was about $20/barrel lower than it is now. My 30.25 was in the last two weeks so

29.8 or even lower should have been achievable "a few months" back.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've lived in houses with oil and now LPG heating.

In general there's nowt in it regarding costs. Also remember that oil has about 15% ish more calorific value by volume (that's how it's sold) than gas - the LPG suppliers omit this fact.

Remember that during the crisis in the 70's heating oil rose from a very low price of around 8p/L - those days are gone for good I suspect.

Here's a simple price comparison chart:

Julian

Just to add to what others have already said, IMO there are only two benefits of LPG;

1/. you can also use it to supply a gas hob/oven. 2/. it doesn't wax up in really cold weather as heating oil might do.

Both LPG and heating oil are subject to the same price fluctuation as they both originate from the same crude oil - natural gas being a totally separate, but related, substance.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Interesting chart! It shows off-peak electricity as being cheaper than oil. Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend it because of its inflexibility and lack of controllability - even ignoring its effect on the resale value of your house.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well I can't argue with that - you can't supply a gas appliance with oil!

It might be worth saying you can't supply an oil appliance with lpg

Kerosine will not wax up this side of the arctic circle! Also Gas oil (red diesel used for heating fuel) is dosed with anti-waxing additive nowadays. One or two of the smaller delivery companies might cut corners and not dose summer sold stocks :-( Kerosine is the cleaner liquid fuel and ignites more reliably.

The OP might like to google around a bit and have a look at the OFTEC website for info as well. Be aware that there are not as many competent oil installers/service engineers. You may well benefit from a little training yourself regarding maintenance needs.

Reply to
cynic

There is the lower capital costs of installation. The saving in installation can be used to add a solar panel and/or extra insulation and make it even cheaper to run again.

Lower servicing costs

Many LPG boilers are NG boilers wiith new injectors. Some only require a software setting change.

LPG is well worth considering, if a new boiler is needed. If there is an existing oil boiler go for extra insulation, more air tighter house and a DHW solar panel to lower running costs. Well I suppose that applies to any installation really.

Reply to
timegoesby

Our E7 has the off peak rate at 3.79/unit but that is on a tarrif designed for low use, better tarrifs are available. So they are comparable.

Agreed, having lived in a flat with electric storage heating about the only thing you can say positive about it is that it keeps you warm but only most of the time. A cold snap and you freeze for 24hrs, warm spell and you end up opening the windows to let the heat out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Diesel used to wax up but they alter the formulation for the winter now to avoid that in all but the most extreme temperatures.

Never had a problem here with 28sec oil with air temps down to -10C and not getting above 0C during the day. Ground frosts down to -15C... At what temp does LPG stop vapourising? Propane isn't a problem but butane stops above 0C...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Also kerosene is good for cleaning parts, paint brushes and thinning paint.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Yes, true. The gas installation belongs to the supplier, you have a contract, annual rental charges, and you are tied to their gas. But you may want the tank burried - that'll cost you.

OTOH oil is only the price of a tank and a few odds and sods, with no annual charge. You can DIY quite easily. (as I did) BES sell all the stuff.

Hmmm, don't agree! Servicing a gas boiler needs a CORGI chap (legally) - expensive. Servicing an oil boiler = DIY = cheap! I've DIYed an oil boiler for 10 years. It only ever cost me a new nozzle and thermostat. (both cost pennies)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I don't know who prepared that chart but the figures seem extremely suspect. I am in a badly insulated 3 bed home in the SW with a conventional gas boiler and I should be using £719. This is 3x the actual amount and we really like our heat in the winter as well as having 4 adults in the house for DHW.

Reply to
EricP

The issue is largely one of comparison, just scale the results to get 'your' answer.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Gas is marginally cheaper. LPG is more expensive and subject to high installation costs (safety)

At least with oil, if you monitor the prices

you can tank up when its not fiendishly expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

28.1 I got then ...not now tho.
Reply to