Pink abrasive?

Hi

I got a bunch of pink abrasive stones in a dremel kit, mostly of shapes I cant possibly imagine being of any practical use. What is this pink stuff? What will it and wont it abrade? Do these bits have any real world uses?

Clearly a life and death matter!

ta, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Those little grinders are good for delicate metal removal, but only the expensive dremel ones. The lidl/aldi 1000 for £2.50 are crap with the heads dropping off the shaft if they get slightly hot.

I thought the pink were fine grade.

Difficult to tell though.

Reply to
EricP

We use the pointy ones to flatten out TIG welds where two tubes join together on our Stainless Steel handrails prior to polishing. Never found anything quite as good. As someone else said, only the genuine Dremel item is up to the job, we bought a pack of Dremel-A-Like tools from Makro and the stones and cutoff discs would burst occasionally just spinning them up.

Obviously :)

Reply to
Jeff

It is probably pink Aloxite - a trade name for aluminium oxide - typical use is cool grinding of tool steels but they need to be run at the right surface speed.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson