announcement: it's OPEN SEASON on blackfly in new hamster

i am EXTREMELY allergic to blackfly bites; they're not at all like mosquito sucking bites, mostly because mosquitos inject a kind of "local" anesthetic (like the kind your dentist uses in your gums to numb them) whereupon, on the other hand, blackfly inject a sort of poison, rather like the digestive-type spiders use on their prey to begin their victim(s)' breakdown so they become easier to digest.

so, instead of an anesthetic, the HUMAN victim receives a dose of POISON and in some unfortuate people (like me), this poison can (and does) build up to a serum-build and eventually cause terrible damage to certain nerves AND any surrounding skin, sinew, etc., and DOES cause death in certain parts of the world---not just to animals, but to humans, as well---but then again, those are tropical-type blackfly.

also, unlike mosquitos who mostly lay their eggs in stagnant water pools, blackfly must lay their eggs on the underside of stones which receive much splashing as the stones inhabit rapid-flowing streams or rivers. the same digestive-poison they use on their victims is also used to adhere the eggs to the underside of the rocks where they are fed by the blood their "mommy" gets each time she feeds.

ok. all that scientific jargon aside (and it really IS scientific as i got most of the info from my friend, "dr. bug," who works for the state university system of georgia).

what this posting is REALLY about, since the person before (a month or so back in time) me ( snipped-for-privacy@nonews.com) has so generously listed a place where folks like me (who prefer to keep their blood to themselves) ;o) can purchase "bug shirts" = black mesh, 100% polyester outer wear; worn ATOP your regular clothes--it has a hood attached to the body of the shirt and long sleeves with an elasticised wrist band and an elasticised waist band....and if you REALLY want to ummmm...beat the drum? (is that the expression?), you can also purchase "bug pants"---same material, et al.

what i'd like to know is....why is it that the manufacturer (and i'm convinced that no matter where it is sold, these mesh outerwear are all made by one company) makes them ONLY IN BLACK???? black being THE COLOUR blackfly, mosquitos, wasps/hornets....and just about EVERY stinging/biting insect is attracted to, more than ANY OTHER shade or colour??

blackfly, et al are attracted first by the moving figure(s) of their prospective victims....and then, unlike other stinging and/or biting insect, the blackfly have a "technique" which is practically flawless: the male zigs in and out around the face, distracting the victim, whilst the female dives in for "the kill." ....and WHILE the male is detracting the attention, he picks up the scent of "sweet breath" (usually animals with diabetes or other HIGH CARBOHYDRATE respiration.....he then buzzes his wings in a private communication to his mate that, "hey, lady!!! this is a good 'un!" and the female goes in for the blood. the female of ALL species which take blood from their victims will take blood from practically any animal; BUT when they are signaled that there's a "sweet breather" in sight, they take MORE blood than from any other victim AND deposit MORE reverse chemicals behind (mosquito: anesthetic; blackfly: digestive juices).

oh gosh, i'm sorry....there i did it again. it's just very important to me that you all (especially those of you who are affected as i am) understand the true picture......and then, perhaps, someone will be able to answer me: WHY are ALL the bugs shirts (now, i'm talking only of those which do NOT use chemicals--those are usually olive-drab coloured and you soak them in DEET {SHUDDER} ) the black-mesh, polyester (made in china)-(of course)-(what isn't, anymore?), hooded, BUGSHIRT????

please....can SOMEONE tell me why this manufacturer does not make them in white or some similar light colour?? i tried to make one using cheesecloth---not good.

ANY SUGGESTIONS and/or ANSWERS would be gratefully accepted by me and posted in this group---and i humbly thank you, in advance.

sincerely, gypsy in OPEN BLACKFLY SEASON in nhzone 4a.

Reply to
RAINDEAR

RAINDEAR wrote in news:C076772C.14F92% snipped-for-privacy@macdialup.com:

where did you get yours? i bought one for my kid at Agway & it's camo green (as were the adult ones they had). i've never seen them in black. does yours have a full head cover, face & all? if so, the face part would be easier to see out of in black, but i don't know why the rest of the suit would be black... lee

Reply to
enigma

Try Campmor.com to see what they have - this is not and ad for them . Also try the new BuzzOff clothing. It really works. The bugs love me and so I tried the t shirts and hat. What a difference it made! No gnts in the face, no bites and yes they have buzzoff socks. Google buzzoff and see what you comes up!

Reply to
glenon

I understand black flies, lived in Canada 170 miles north of TO. we dont have those here so time to move to where there are no black flies with that kind of allergy. here in Milwaukee we barely got mosquitoes. but I visit a friend SW of here, she got TICKS. I cant stand TICKS and when I lived in Minn in 1980's and went morelling I realized this was also prime TICK season. so I sewed a TICK suit out of nylon. I still have it, still use it. I also carry duct tape around in case I dont have the suit .. just tape the pants shut at the bottom, tape the top and bottom, tape at the arms. a chunk of duct tape sticky side out on the hat to catch the deer flies. ....

mostly I just stay in Milwaukee where I dont have to cope with those things. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

I never saw the original post, but oh man, Ingrid, part of me is laughing, the rest is dreading the black flies, ticks and mosquitoes. At least I don't puff up from the black flies like my sister does. So, I've added another errand to the list - replenish the supply of insect repellent for the kids!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak