Pine garden furnature peserative

We got a new garden table with benches attached this summer. It has been stained/treated with a transparent red/brown finish. You can see grain quite clearly through the finish.

I want to protect it and at the weekend painted on some Cuprinol Timbercare which I'd had left from painting a fence. This was a big mistake as it looked orange and was opaque so I couldn't see the grain. Fortunately mum was out but the kids comments varied from "you'd better not let mum see it" to "maybe you could sand paper it off". Fortunately I decided it looked terrible when it was still wet and I hosed it all off.

I went to place we got the bench from today and all they could offer was coloured softwood garden furniture preservatives.

What type of preservative should I use to protect the wood but not to colour it any further? And where can I get it?

Thanks

Ian

Reply to
ian nicoll