Spay-on fence and shed preservative experience

There were a couple of threads a few weeks ago discussing the pros and cons of spray-on wood preservatives. I bought B & Qs own-brand sprayer and Timbercare preservative to treat an 8 by 10 shiplap garden shed, mainly because two of the sides are too close to neighbours fences to reach with a brush. I am very pleased with the result. There were some runs in places where the preservative had gone on too thick, but these disappeared on drying. I just need to brush some preservative on in a few places where it is a bit thin or the spray has missed. The sprayer nozzle didn't block up even though the preservative is quite thick. I used the dark brown shade of Timbercare - it looks more like medium brown at first when wet but it dries to a dark brown waxy water-repellent finish.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

This is what I do: Buy one gallon of creosote substitute (2 quid). Pick super still day. Put in garden sprayer. Dry brush fences to remove dust, rain splashed mud, cobwebs etc. Cover plants with dust sheets. Spray fences. About 1 hour for 20mts x 6ft.

Reply to
visionset

My solution was, buy a garden sprayer 7.5lt (=A37 from wilkinsons) and then use normal fence paint at =A35 a tin instead of =A310 for the prayable stuff, put 3 litres in the sprayer and top up with hot water give it a shake and away you go !! works a treat as most fence paints have a wax in em the hot water keeps it spraying niceley - you wont beleive how many panels you'll get dome in 30 min!!!

Reply to
Staffbull