Pilot lights keep going out (Worcester)

I called out Bgas for the last time. A chap came out and immediately said that it was the heat exchanger which was blocked up because of muck in the CH system. He said that BGas would not repair it as it was due to dirt in the sytem which should have bee flushed out and they cant replace it anywahy because the part is not availanle anymore.

He said my only option was to get them flush the system (600GBP) and then have heat exchanger repaired by them at 70GBP/HR. Alternative was to get a new boiler fitted by them for 3500GBP. He also said that I was so lucky that I got 12 years of this boiler; they dont last that long. I told him where to go.

I am totally naffed by all this. BGas have been 'servicing' this boiler for the last 4-5 years and they have this annual service (if you can call it that - engineer looking at the boiler with a torch for

5 mins). They never told me that I needed a flush and now that the heat exchanger is gone, they say that its not covered because the system should have been flushed. A bit cop-out for them if you ask me. What diabolical service!
Reply to
Nick

I'm not sure that I trust them with their assertion "the heat X is blocked"? This is a combi, so presumably a sealed CH system. Seeing as it's already done 12 years there could not have been too much wrong with it. Unless you have been topping up frequently (like more than once a week for a year or two) there is not much chance of sludge.

Time for you to either fix it yourself or find out from your nieghbours/ colleagues/friends who they know who can fix it.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have a similar problem where for some reason our pilot light keeps going out on our WB 400 highflow after 30mins to 1 hour. I have had BGAS out 3 ti mes and they have replaced the various sensors and are now looking at repla cing the pump, which does feel very hot!?

We noticed this problem when we returned from Holiday where we also noticed our living flame gas fire wouldn't light - it was if both appliances were starved of gas!

Any help would be appreciated as I suspect the next call out will be the la st!

Reply to
bartleypm

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com pretended :

Are you absolutely sure that boiler even uses a pilot light? It seems to be a fairly modern boiler and modern boilers don't have pilot lights consuming gas when off. They use electronic ignition to ignite the burners as needed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com formulated the question :

The old story of chucking expensive parts at a problem, to try to diagnose the real real issue, if they are lucky.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Getting someone to check the dynamic gas pressure at the meter under load would seem like a good starting point. If your supply pressure is too low, then there is not much you can do at the appliance end to fix it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Our Worcester boiler, not a combi, was giving us similar problems. The experts were all gloom and doom so we called in a local plumber. He reckoned the pipe to (or from) the exhaust was blocked. He took the pipe out, flushed it through, re-fitted it and bingo - no more problems. Worked fine ever since.

Reply to
G r o g

I have a similar problem where for some reason our pilot light keeps going out on our WB 400 highflow after 30mins to 1 hour. I have had BGAS out 3 times and they have replaced the various sensors and are now looking at replacing the pump, which does feel very hot!?

We noticed this problem when we returned from Holiday where we also noticed our living flame gas fire wouldn't light - it was if both appliances were starved of gas!

Any help would be appreciated as I suspect the next call out will be the last!

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This thread started years ago

Reply to
Cynic

Perhaps, although it does have a new on topic question appended.

Reply to
John Rumm