Picture Hangers

These came mounted on the pictures. They need a screw mounted in the wall and then the picture is offered up with the clips open and the clips then closed.

HTF can the clips be opened given that once closed the frame is close to the wall and there is no apparent means of grasping the clip to pull it back.

Or are they used in a different way entirely ?

Reply to
fred

They look to me like one bit screws to the wall and the other screws to the frame. The frame then just hooks onto the wall brackets and can be lifted off for decorating/cleaning etc.

You might have screwed the wrong bit to the picture.

Reply to
harryagain

Cut an old credit card into an L shape, hook around the back and pull. If you have some L brackets you could use them to hook around.

Or use long nosed pliers.

Reply to
dennis

No. The clip is fitted correctly. The clip is hooked on to the screw then the plate is slid across to secure it. I can't see any method to retract the locking plate in order to dismount the picture

Reply to
fred

Problem is the clip expands once it has been pushed through and then locks in place. I wonder of these clips are meant to hold a length of wire.

Reply to
fred

Have you asked the seller?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Sorry cannot help with these strange fixings but if it is of any help when we had a major redecoration session three years ago we replaced all our varying picture fixings (20 pictures) with command strips.

Provided that you clean the fixing areas on both the picture and the wall with a drop of isopropyl first they stay up without any problems. Two medium size on small framed and glazed pictures and up to eight on quite large ones and none have shown any sign of falling down as yet! They also make the hanging process - getting them absolutely level etc

- much simpler.

Reply to
rbel

Wondering what you meant, I googled, and found:

The reviews are not all positive. I don't think I'd want to trust anything that contained glass to this method.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Are they the removeable, stick-on hooks?

If so, we used those last year for putting up decorations in the conservatory without damaging anything and then removed them after Christmas. We found them very good.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Are these meant for places like hotels, in order to stop the punters nicking the pictures? In that case, there may be no easy method to remove them - intentionally!

Reply to
GB

Spot on. We contacted the Picture framers and they confirmed that they are a scecurity measure. The pictires are not meant to be removed

Reply to
fred

Is there a special tool available to remove them, for use when the hotel is redecorated?

Reply to
GB

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Fair enough. All I can say is that if one is sensible about the use ie don't locate on an iffy surface, do prep both the frame and wall surface and use plenty of them, they should be fine. As far as the negative reviews are concerned it would not surprise me if little or no precautions had been carried out because prep is boring!

Our experience is that not one of our 20 glazed pictures of varying sizes has come away from the wall.

An added advantage is that if/when you want to reposition a picture you can do so without leaving a mess at the original location.

Reply to
rbel

Well as the photo of the fastners says patent 2289217 stamped on it. A quick qoogle of that finds

ARW

You are Sherlock Holmes & I claim my £5 :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Another quick google finds

Reply to
Andy Burns

:-)

ARW

Yes - they have a tab on the adhesive part which you pull downwards and it comes away without leaving any damage. Any slight residual adhesive can be removed with isopropyl.

Reply to
rbel

One of the amazon reviewers points out that "no damage" didn't work for them

- the adhesive was applied to a painted surface, and dragged the paint off it, which I should think would end up looking far worse than a few small holes from a conventional picture hook. Maybe the advertising / product literature isn'd setting people's expectations very well.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts