picnic bench

A few very short years ago, we had donated to us a picnic bench of the type that councils etc use.

I cleaned it up and painted it with garden shades paint. The last 3 winters has seen the paint flaking off. Is it worth while trying to treat the wood, considering it has been outside and weathered all its life?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Garden Shades" is supposed to be a coloured wood preserver, I don't think it calls itself a stain though. And be aware that some things that call themselves "stains" are only a coating they don't soak in and stain the timber.

Assuming this picnic bench is decent hardwood timber, sand it down and oil it. Then just keep it oiled. Softwood well clean it up and a liberal application of a proper solvent based wood preserver followed by a proper UV absorbant stain will extend it's life.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for that, I'll go along those tracks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave