Preserving weathered wood?

My FIL built one of those garden wishing wells out of untreated 2x4s about 20 years ago. He polyurethaned it, but that has long-since worn off. He passed away and my MIL asked that we try to preserve/restore it as best as possible. It’s sentimental to her, so I understand. It’s very weathered, but STILL STURDY. The grain of the wood is gray, very pronounced, and sunken in from being outside in the snow/rain for so many years. It looks exactly what a google image search shows for “weathered wood.” In my opinion, it needs a good pressure-wash to clean off the mildew as a start. But after that, I’m not sure. Any recommendations on what to do with the wood in terms of a paint/coating? Or just leave it as-is?? If I could maybe squeeze another 10 years of life out of it, that would be plenty.

Theodore

Reply to
milli...

I polyurenthaned by dining room floor once, and where I walked a lot, it wore off. Prior to polyurethane, I'd never seen a hardwood floor where the finish (varnish, shellac?) wore off. ?????? The advantage was that a partial repair coat of poly didn't leave a line where the border was

For the record, the closest I've done to this was "painting" my wood deck with something meant for wood decks. I guess it did some good.

That strikes me as a bad idea. I have fence pickets that are 40 years old, and using a size 3** weed wacker is enough to cut through them. It wouldn't if they were new. Pressure washers are famous for destroying things.

Also, is the grey color her objection, or mostly the mildew and concern that it will fall apart? Grey doesn't seem bad and it only takes a couple years to turn grey, iirc.

There must be other ways to get rid of the mildew, which I'm guessing is not everywhere (only on the north side?). Something you can brush on? Or better yet, wire brush it by with a hand brush first to get rid of most.

I forget what one calls the stuff one coudl have used in the first place, but is it too late to apply that. Will the wood soak it up? Is there a way you could provide some way, like a guinea pig water bottle upside down, to dispense it gradually as it permeates the wood. If not, how about many coats, using one of those brushes that holds a lot. Maybe you coudl train a 10 or 13 year old to do it without making a mess (and it's transparent anyhow, isn't it?). They have plenty of time.

?? first guess ??:

**My sizing: Size one is the really little one. Size two is big enough to do the job in most cases Size 3 is twice as big as 2. Size 4 if for farms and overgrown vacant lots

Does she want it painted? Her husband didn't paint it. Doesn't she want it to look just like he did it, except maybe grey. Was it already grey when he was still alive? I betcha.

Or just leave it as-is?? If I could maybe squeeze another 10 years of life out of it, that would be plenty.

Sounds ominous.

Reply to
micky

Sounds perfect. Do they have a version to treat people?

Reply to
micky

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try brushing with a stiff brush, and then some of that penetrating wood oil. Thank you again!!

Reply to
milli...

I'm thinking that after you brush off what mildew you can brush off, you could use that wood oil, and after you know you've applied as much of that as you are going to, there must be some kind of mildew killer you can brush on.

I wouldn't use the mildew stuff first, because it will soak into the wood and fill up the space meant for the preservative.

Reply to
micky

This stuff actually works as advertised, no scrubbing required. Just spray it on.

Skid Marks