Electric power washer safety

I have a gas Simpson 2400 psi. It is a pain in the butt. Looking at electric. My big question is how can it be safe? With my gas one I have water everywhere possible. What can I not get wet with electric? Seems dangerous.

Reply to
Thomas

It's not quite the same thing but think of submersible electric pumps.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I've had one for years. You have to be careful of the plug but that is some distance from where I'm working. It has a pretty long hose.

Just some common sense and it should be good.

Reply to
Ed P

Plus there are GFCI outlets available made for outdoor use. That should help too.

Dean Hoffman

A neighbor gave* me an older one since he bought a gas powered unit . This one has a GFCI built into the power plug . *And a month or so ago another neighbor gave me a really nice Craftsman gas unit that wouldn't run . I put a 12 dollar eBay replacement carb on it and it's running like a top .

Reply to
Snag

Exactly. For maximum safety, put it on a circuit with GFCI or use a GFCI extension cord. And use common sense, like don't grab it to move it while it's plugged in. The concern I would have is if an electric is powerful enough compared to gas for what you intend to use it for. I have a big, old, very heavy old electric one, it really needs a 20A circuit. It's fine for around the house, but I wonder if the typical new ones that are lighter are up to the job.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks for the insights. I am going to relook at my Simpson gas one. On the side of the house needing work I have no outside outlet. Closest would be through my kitchen window into a 15 amp wall outlet. Can I start the gas one for a second or two without water running through it? Does it know it is dry and prevent starting somehow?

Reply to
Thomas