Piano felt

Anyone know where I can get a strip of (blue) felt about 1" wide by ~

5' long to replace the strip on a piano? It's quite a good instrument (Bechstein upright) and I'd like to get the right colour blue!

A second question is if someone knows how to cut this strip so it has a nice straight edge. Felt is a pig to cut straight and my previous attempt with a scissors was pathetic. Thanks

Reply to
dave

Yellow Pages - your local music shop or a piano restorer/repairer presumably.

Place felt on to firm flat surface you don't mind damaging, place a good straight edge (like a metal ruler) on top and then run a Stanley knife with a new blade down the straight edge.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sounds like a good idea but in practice quite difficult to do on such a long piece. Problem is how to keep the pressure even and the straight edge from wandering. Felt also has a habit of tearing. Not that I have any better ideas mind.

Reply to
dave

You don't need to keep the pressure 'even', you just need to hold it 'firmly'; notably at the point where the blade is - ie you can move down the workpiece - maybe on the floor? - transferring your weight as you go.

If you haven't got a suitable straight edge go and buy a cheapo builder's spirit level from the market for a fiver.

If the blade is new the felt certainly won't tear.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Restoring pianos isn't really a d-i-y activity

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It's the only way for felt. So you'll be needing to make up a big workbench fro the job, such as working diagonally across a half sheet of hardboard on the carpet, with a spare wardrobe door as a straightedge (how I did this sort of thing last time I didn't have a huge straightedge handy).

Alternatively join up several small strips, with a scarfed joint. If you glue them neatly, you'll never notice the joins on somethingslightly fuzzy, like felt.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Although their demolition and re-cycling can be 8-)

Andy Dingley

don't say how thick the felt is...but I cut thicknesses up to 6mm with a scalpel blade.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I'm not restoring a piano! Just the felt strip that lies at the top of the keys. The only difficult part is getting /cutting the felt properly. It doesn't affect the action/tuning/playability or anything else. Just the appearance. Blimey if that's not DIY I don't know what is!

Reply to
dave

Glue the felt into position first and then use a straight edge with a brand spankin new stanley blade.

Cabinet makers,Pool&Snooker table makers on the net might have off cuts for a price,email them

Reply to
George

Have you thought of contacting Bechstien? For such a good piano i tghink it is worth getting the correct part from them rather than making do. I imagine that what you are replacing is the strip that the keys bear onto, so it will affect the feel of the keyboard.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

Forget the Stanley knife. Use a circular cutter designed for cutting fabrics.

Reply to
Geoff Beale

I've never had any luck with those on thick felt (and as a kitemaker, I've got good rotary cutters).

A Stanley shoudl do it, so long as it's a new blade. Otherwise a snap-off, or even a scalpel.

Reply to
Andy Dingley