Traditionally, I buy a ten lb bar of chocolate for Easter. Half goes
to the kids. The other half goes in my desk drawer at work (plus half
of what I gave the kids because they're not nearly as passionate as I
am for chocolate, but that's another story).
Cutting this bar is never fun. I've thought about making a chocolate
cutter out of a piano wire or maybe a guitar string - sort of like the
big cheese cutters they use at the cheese store that I frequent. If I
could heat the wire, it would make the job much easier. Is there a
safe way to electrically heat such a wire sufficiently to cut
chocolate? What sort of low-voltage circuit could I use for this? Or
is this idea completely off the wall?
Clever idea, but piano wire or a guitar string won't have enough
resistance to heat up when you apply a current. You want something
like nichrome wire which is used in styrofoam cutters. Check eBay.
There are some which will run on 2 "D" batteries.
Or spring for one of the first item pictured on this page. It comes with
several knife blade tips which should make short work of your job.
(Click on the small picture to enlarge and see what the blades look like.)
Best answer yet. Whenever I used to see that type of chunk chocolate in the
stores, it was in broken chunks- obviously just wrapped in cheesecloth, and
slammed on the chopping table real hard, and then unwrapped and repackaged.
I bet it would break pretty cleanly over a fulcrum like a table edge.
On 2 Apr 2007 13:45:07 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Maybe give them something else instead. Or a one pound bar?
My mother was too thin as a child/teenagere, so my grandmother would
give her a nickel to go buy a milkshake, another nickel to have them
put an egg in it, and another nickel to get my mother to drink it.
Later, she had learned to love milkshakes and sweets, and it made it
much more difficult for her to keep weight off.
They used to have, and maybe still do, the same wire cheese cutter in
consumer size. I have two of them, and I would give you one, maybe,
but they are from my mother and grandmother.
I was going to suggest 110 volts through a lightbulb and the wire, but
after reading Grandpa, I realized that wouldn't work either. It
wouldn't blow a fuse, but because there is so little resistance in the
wire you mention, it wouldn't make any heat either.
On 3 Apr 2007 19:41:21 -0700, email@example.com wrote:
I don't remember Blommer's.
But there used to be a barge on the Chicago river filled with cocoa or
brown sugar or something for the candy company just north of the river
and a bit east of Michigan Ave. Is that still there?
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.