Photos

Ditto.

Still doing that even though we have both retired.

When working, I was doing 19,000 miles a year, mainly just to get to work and back. The only problem now is the 266 mile trip to see the daughter and g daughters :-( I'm getting too old for it now.

I can go through the jeans, but I built up a stock of shirts and underwear that is still capable of sustaining me for 3 or 4 weeks.

I have a cardigan that my wife made over 30 years ago and it still regularly keeps me warm to this day, with the amount of love she knitted into it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Ireland is a catholic country. They have religious objections to the things. Whereas in the UK you can get them free at any family planning clinic. Why pay VAT?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Hmm, that's all rather familiar (except that my missus is an accountant, and I happened to move countries!) - I got really sick of the computing industry; seemed like everyone (customers included) were getting screwed all the time, apart from a few folk up top who got rich.

These days I fix up our old house and look after the kids when they're not at school. One day I'll get a new roof on the barn and then I (or we) have plans to open up some sort of home business there, which means I can still be nearby for the kids (our eldest is 11 - couple more years and he'll be legally able to babysit, and I'd only be 100' away anyway).

Yes, BTDT, too. I'm not a manager, never will be. Lots of people say I should teach, but I don't know why - it'd drive me insane! :-) Missus sounds the same as mine - lots of career aspirations and whatnot.

Heh :-) I still get support calls from the SO every so often when she's at work and has some kind of technical problem.

Yes, if I were to go back into IT that's what I'd do - but I keep an eye on the paper and haven't seen any unix work up where I am; it's all Windows and nowt else.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

You have to be thick to be a manager, but you have to be really thick to be a teacher. While working at a primary school, I never came across any degree teacher, other than the head and deputy, that were not slow of the mind and *I* am not up to the standards of Paul Merton and co.

The teaching assistants are better than the graduates, but one floored me when the 4 pupils that she was doing a 1 to 4 with asked her what a fore shore was. I was amazed that she didn't know.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I know an intelligent bloke that said he may like to be a teacher if he changed careers. When asked what age group he would like to teach he answered "anything but primary school kids as they do not ask the correct questions":-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

What type of work were you doing in the primary school?

You cannot change a lightbulb in an occupied classroom.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth