'Dual' record player dismantlement ?

I have a Dual CS505-2 record player that has stopped functioning (after 40 years!). Checked the fuse and the socket OK, so it's failed somewhere in the machine, but for once I'm defeated on how to get into it.

Anyone been there and done it and can help me please?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Rob

ps Not that I'm specifically wanting to replace it, unless necessary, but anyone got any experience with these USB record decks?

Reply to
robgraham

Any use:

John

Does the motor run?

See cunning screws in this link. (Google is great!)

one can't use a good old turntable and get some sort of USB adaptor thing. Most old turntables will be better than what you buy now.

Reply to
John

Lidl had usb record decks last week for £39.99. The transformer makes an enormous hum but that doesn't seem to come out on the digital recording. Maplin have one on special offer at £49.99 instead of £69.99. I noticed today that Maplin have a phono (analogue) to usb (digital) converter. I can't remember the price but it was about £40.

Lawrence Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

John :

Budget solution:

expensive:

Mike Barnes

Most of them are cheap rubbish and a waste of money, the results will sound abysmal. One good one though is the 'Pro-Ject Debut', available from proper hi-fi shops, chains include 'Richer Sounds', 'Sevenoaks Sound & Vision', 'Practical Hi-Fi' (no that's not a magazine, but 'Hi- Fi World' is) and 'Superfi', not Maplin/Argos/Currys etc. I've had my Debut (basic model) for the past three years and it's been very good, a USB version is now available.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

Thanks guys for all your comments and offers of help - I managed to find the users handbook and get the turntable off (as long as you translate the instruction 'turn to right' as anti-clockwise !!) and there must have been some slight jerk to free the mains switch because it then started turning.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Your goimg to get much better transcription from a decent turntable,

505 in anything rather than its last very plastic incarnation, regarded as prettty decent budget turntable, either use the tape out on a reasonable preamp or get a reasonable RIAA preamp and a decent soundcard, or usb external souncard. no amount of cleaning and EQing will put back what turntable didn`t get in first place.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I had one, the Pro-ject Debut II. Didn't get on with it at all, and was most glad to see it off on eBay...

Reply to
Adrian C

Its often some lubricant gone sticky that stops these decks. If the torque is not quite enough to overcome the problem. as for switches, is it a linkage problem then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff