Jointing worktops in out-of-square room

What's the best way to joint two worktops in an out-of-square corner (>90) using a standard worktop jig?

Presumably cut the female joint first as if square, then offer up the male worktop and mark with a pencil.

But how do you get the jig located correctly without using the pins? And if the angle is a few degrees >90, does the joint between the profiled front edges still meet up properly?

Thanks for any advice/gotchas before I make an expensive mistake.

Reply to
mike

How far out of square? Often easier to adjust the plaster levels

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Use a breakfast bar, or wider, for one length and profile wall edge of that to match the wall. I had worked that out for a worktop fitter, but still he could not see how it would work for a long time!!

Reply to
CS

It's about 94 as best I can make out. If I chased the male leg into the plaster slightly to make it square, I'd have to move the female cut-out a few mm closer to the corner end, wouldn't I?

Reply to
mike

A good idea but I already have the bugger and it's been cut to roughly the right length, so would like to make it work if possible.

Reply to
mike

Measure the angle, or work it out. EG. 2 metres long, 20mm gap at one end, tapering to no gap at other end. Worktop is 600mm wide, so the measurment would be

600mm/2000mm = 0.3 0.3 x 20mm = 6mm

So you'd need to pack your jig out 6mm at the appropriate end. Easily checked by drawing some lines on the worktop before setting it up.

There will be no problems with mating up for such small angles, if it is going to be tiled afterwards, you can get away with a gap of 10mm or so, though it is not ideal. I aim for a gap of 5mm each side if the worktop is between 2 walls. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Make an accurate template and cut/joint accordingly.

Reply to
Nick

I guess so IMO the principle with fitted stuff is that you pretend the room is square and then do whatever is necessary to the plaster. Once you start following the wall, there are knock-on effects with base units not lining up etc. If you get those bolted together and against the wall, you get a clearer idea of the angle, and what the options are.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I had this problem but solved it by setting up the base units so they were square, placing the worktop on top, and then fixing the wall.

Some of the plaster had to be cut away and there was also a section where the tiles had a lot of adhesive on their back!

Useful info. Thanks for that.

Reply to
mike

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.