Photo story - incredible.

I've watched this done... They melt it.

Running a house off the main was cool to watch. A large & heavy metal object (T shaped. The handle is the vertical) with one end sized for accept the outside of the house pipe & one end to melt a hole in the main. They heat it with a blow torch, and then melt the end of the house feed at the same time they pierce the main with the other end...

Then they pull the heated tool off & jam the house pipe in before too much gas escapes. And then test with some soapy water.

Joining two sections of house sized pipe was almost the same. Except IIRC they used a sleeve over the joint.

It was certainly easier & quicker than soldering...

Reply to
Hamie

I doubt I'm alone in turning straight to the 'Eye Spy' section of the comic each month a certain amount of 'schadenfreud' is the likely motivation. If there is a party line then it's on the lines of 'we need to keep working to eliminate these horrors', my guess

Memorable photos are the 'home made boiler'. The flue gases of a warehouse heater used to warm the office. Countless abuses of flue liners, flexible hoses etc. Vivisection of backboilers. Missing boiler flue.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Building conservatories over the boiler flue is common. They tell them to keep the window open.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And how is that different from, say, a bottled gas heater? A gas heater shouldn't produce any toxic flue gasses.

Reply to
dennis

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:23:11 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" scrawled:

Basically, melt it together with the approriate tooling.

As it happens, I happen to have an electrofusion machine here for hire. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

That reminds me - I must take a photo of next door's gas meter: they're having an extension built where their garage used to be, and at the moment their gas meter - still connected - is hanging from a convenient bit of brick pier by some blue string.

Reply to
Nick Atty

Presumably the blowtorch is extinguished just before the metal pierces the gas main?

;-)

Reply to
Matt

It's one of degree. A domestic cooker is a flueless appliance also.

I was talking about a 200kW (?) industrial warm air unit which produces loads of flue gasses.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There is a similar picture in this months Gas Installer. In that case it was spotted by a fitter who informed the owners to contact the emergency service provider (0800 111 999).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Right.

Can you just imagine drivel trying to do it? Using a hair drier, etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't this pathetic. He has never seen a gas main never mind how it is jointed. He read this from another post in this thread.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I don't understand why you spend all day on a newsgroup where nobody likes you and you think that everything anybody says is drivel.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Wickes!"

Yes, I meant 135 degree bends, somehow I think of them as 45 degree.

Possibly these do not acheive volume sales in the sheds because most professionals would use their bender and save the cost of a fitting, and amateurs stick to 90 bends, not envisaging the possibilties offered by 135.

Roger

Reply to
Roger R

I've seen bottled gas heaters that would be in that sort of power range. They don't have flues at all.

Its really a question of air volume and how much of the stuff is mixed with the combustion products. If there is enough it is safe (I would keep a CO monitor handy to detect the burner faults if I used one).

Their biggest problem is humidity. You get gallons of water from them and it condenses on cold surfaces all over the place. This makes them totally unsuitable for domestic heating which is why boilers have flues.

Reply to
dennis

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:23:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My word, yet another project I have worked on. There is a box of tricks which contains (wild guess here) a gel-type lead acid battery, certainly one with a high current dump capacity. The ends of the pipe are scraped with a special tool which is like an ordinary scraper but the blade faces backward, i.e. you have to drag rather than push it. The fitting is placed over both ends and on it is moulded a "cooking time. The Magic Box is connected to a pair of contacts on the fitting, the box is programmed with the time, the Big Red Button is pushed, and a couple of minutes later the joint is set. There is a resistive element in the fittings which melts the inside of the fitting onto the pipe. I think the plastic is polythene as opposed to polypropylene, but only on account that the former has a lower MP than the latter. In short the process is nearly foolproof. You just need the kit. One of the aspects of the research was to investigate the effects of contaminants like mud and grease on the pipe ends on the quality of the join. All the contaminated joints took at least twice the design pressure, indeed most joints survived 100 psi, rather above 6-8" water gauge. We did not take things farther on that front. We also tensile tested the joints, and in all cases the joint was stronger than the pipe. On a 600mm testpiece (actually a touch longer, the joints have a shoulder inside to ensure correct depth of insertion and centring) they were pulled

100mm (the crosshead travel of the machine) without joint failure. The pipe itself necked but remained integral. In short, the system is simpler than most other pipe-joining methods. I believe the Magic Box cost about a grand at the time.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

So if condensing boilers are mandatory, are we going to see a move to flueless in-room boilers ? 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

[snip]

Great - thanks, John. I'd sort of guessed it was a sort of weld. Since the equipment doesn't sound outrageously expensive for a pro, I wonder why this pipe hasn't been specified for domestic use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wondered that - but I suppose the joints themselves could be fairly expensive if they contain the element used to make the joint

Reply to
Richard Conway

Because people would use water compression joints on it, and then the odd one would use it through the house too (when there is a fire?). If it has an expensive weld then that deters the cowboys.

There you go Russ.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How silly - thought everyone knew you had to use green string.

Geo

Reply to
Geo