Petrol strimmer recommendations?

I went to a chain saw museum in Prince Rupert where I learnt that Stihl used to be the leading brand of chain saws in North America before WW2.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Honda. Mine's survived 10 plus years of fairly moderate use, and still starts first time every time. Never had any problem with it, apart from having to redo the cord when I forget to extend it, but I've only used it as a strimmer.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Mr Honda started out by making lawmower piston rings , no doubt Honda is an excellent engine brand for the frequent user, ok, it will also probably start with infrequent use ;-)

Petrol is only realistic option, site size and distance from power.

Generic term for petrol engine with changeable accessories appears to be `spilt-shaft` Honda have Versatool , 300 quid for engine , same again per accessory.

`expand-it` seems like it may have been some sort of standarsd used by Ryobi and others including Qualcast from

"

"

`This attachment has a 25mm shaft, a square drive and a connection button on the side of the shaft end`

Not sure if this matches Stihl drive as well?

Thern there are numereous 52cc 2 stroke multi head cutters at about same cost as 3 days hire of real one.

Already realisewd that hiring chipper in is realistic option from other threads, prehaps just hiring the real deal brush cutter would be less effort in end.

Thanks!

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

`This attachment has a 25mm shaft, a square drive and a connection

In theory it does... the practice is a little more complicated.

I find its easier if you remove the metal spring clip from the end of the expandit shafts which serve no purpose on the Stihl.

Also getting the central square drive to actually engage in the socket on the power head can be a bit hit and miss (the Expandit tools allow the central drive to flop about at the end of the shaft, and rely on a concave conical section on the other side to get it to register. The Stihl has a smaller female connection with a couple of guide bars on it, that to work well, looks like it would need the male end of the shaft to be held concentrically in the end of the shaft by a bearing or similar - so without that support you find the end of the shaft will frequently miss the socket.

You can help things along by filing the end of the shaft to a slight point.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds like an arboriculturalists idea of fun. ;-)

Oh, who are now if not Stihl do you know? Husky?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m