Strimmer/Brush cutter. electric or petrol

We need to buy a strimmer for a very overgrown garden and will need the stronger type I believe called a 'brush cutter' for some heavier work.

Grateful for any recommendations for a reasonably priced one.

Preferably any information about both electric and petrol version, so we can try and decide if it's worth paying the extra for the petrol version. Thanks.

Reply to
john thompson

Much depends on the size of garden, and whether this is a one-off clearance of overgrowth in a smallish one which will then be entirely civilised, or a longterm maintenance project in a large one where you'll use the brush cutter year after year. Also, how fit you are and if you have a good back, because you'll need one for prolongued use of a HD petrol machine.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet

With the shoulder harness that most petrol strimmers come with, weight isn't really an issue. There is a big price difference though. Kawasaki and Ryobi produce decent machines. They produce a lot of noise, and throw up stones occasionally - a full visor and hearing protection should be worn.

Reply to
dom

Definitely a petrol one. If you get one with a cutting disc, similar to a circular saw blade, they are fantastic for cutting most things! Legs included, so take care and don't use it near to others. Also as mentioned they can throw up stones, more with the cord than the disc. I heard the bang of my patio door glass shattering over the noise of the petrol engine at a distance of about 10m.

Mine has seen better days and I'm considering a replacement, local auctions seem a good start for 2nd hand and that is probably where I'll go for it.

If yours is a one off need it maybe better to hire a decent one for a weekend.

As was said earlier, with the correct shoulder straps / harness the petrol strimmers are a joy to use and the weight is not noticeable.

Enjoy and be careful................

Reply to
Bill

Decent harnesses are usually an extra rather than included with the basic machine. You may get a basic strap with it.

They *all* can throw up stones etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

What size of garden, and how easy is it to get power into the far reaches of it?

Do you need to eun any other attachments on the machine? Some of them will take pruning chainsaws (very good if you have trees), hedge cutters (all the ergonomic charm of bagpipes, but handy for tall hedges).

I have uses a few electric strimmers and never been that impressed with any of them. Personally I find petrol much better for the freedom from wires and power.

Reply to
John Rumm

But the twist or swing as you move the blade side to side, can be a=20 problem to sore back persons

Janet

Reply to
Janet

That's very true. A truss is highly recommended for this sort of work, I wouldn't consider doing without. And although the harness takes a lot of the weight it's still hard work if you have a big machine, make no mistake.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

Re electric strimmers. I have a Flymo 600 contour. Its a heavy duty strimmer. It is reasonably light and I use it for most garden tasks. Sometimes the twin feed jams but otherwise it works well. I have a very large garden. It does have difficulty going through very long grass when grass is damp but you have to nibble away at it until its down enough to cut through.

My OH has a stihl. Motor driven. Its a good machine like those being described here but no good unless you are strong ( preferably male). It is heavy and tiring despite what they tell you.

Reply to
sweetheart

LOL. Nothing like laughing at someone else's misfortune.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Unless I missed it the OP still hasn't specified his needs. If he has a small overgrown garden which is going to be tamed then redesigned for light maintenance, then he might consider hiring a professional brush cutter for the clearance then purchasing a cheap electric strimmer which would be adequate for lightweight work edging lawnes, tidying under hedges etc. They are worlds apart in ease of use (and risk to the user, and permanent plants) Janet.

Reply to
Janet

How big a garden? What is the garden overgrown with, just tussocky grass, nettles or brambles?

Nettles will make a small petrol one struggle an ordinary electric just won't cut it. Brambles being "woody" need a disc/blade based cutting head.

If you don't envisage needing a brush cutter machine in the future I'd hire to do the clearance and buy a petrol one for keeping things in check afterwards.

I used an B&D electric one once, feed it more than half a dozen blades of grass (blades not stems...) and it would struggle. Maybe you can get electric ones with decent sized motors (>1kW) that would do better. Petrol is noisey and you have to faff about with fuel/oil mixtures but you have complete freedom and no cable to get tangled in the way etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Check out the hire places.

Reply to