Q on Good Brush Cutter...

Have any of you out there had to clear a large area of smallish brush? I don't want to dish 1K++ on a big @ss piece of power equipment ... I'm looking for more of a gas powered trimmer/brush cutter that's a few hundred bucks. I know you get what you pay for and I'm not looking at the $150 Sears model.

The trimmer part doesn't even have to be an option as I have a trimmer - but unfortunately it doesn't accept a trimmer attachment. Rather have gas than

2 stroke and would like something that's not going to crap out on me after a good amount of usage. I'm going to need a shoulder strap system and prefer a straight shaft rather than curved (I don't want that blade anywhere near me).

I know Husqvarna is a great name, also Toro, but I'm looking for real world experiences here.

Opinions, recommendations (for or against)

Thanks in advance LeeAnne

Reply to
LeeAnne

I've had great luck with my Stihl FS-85. With a steel blade on it I have no problem whacking down some fairly stout brush and with one of the fine-tooth blades rather than the 5-tooth one I use there should be no problem taking down 1-inch trunks. The tool is a 2-stroke but has been dead reliable as have all the other pieces of Stihl equipment I own (chainsaw and blower). Just my $0.02 of course and YMMV.

John McGaw

Try renting one or more from your local rental center and try them. If you only need to do heavy de-brushing twice a year then rental is all you'll need.   Plus, the advantage of not having one more piece of seldom used equipment hanging around. I borrow a friend's DR Brush Cutter in exchange for his use of my Patriot chipper.     That one works fine on some pretty heavy shrub and scrub.

Reply to
Blues Ma

Good Advice ... Consider lining up your neighbors for the same tasks and sharing the rental.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

I did commercial weed abatement for almost 20 years, and my two main tools were a John Deere tractor and a Shindaiwa C35 trimmer. I rarely used the blade, as the tri cut or square cut line even cut anise and small twiggy brush, but with a blade on that thing, you would be able to cut down small trees and branches. Bushes would not stand a chance.

The rental idea is the best scenario, though, as you will just be doing it once or twice a year. Better if you have neighbors share, but it is still worth it if you have to pay it all. It would probably take a few years of rental to even get close to the cost of equipment and maintenance/servicing.

you can find a local dealer there. In the years I used Shindaiwas, I always got 5 to 7 years of intense work out of each machine, and ran 2 to 3 of them constant every season. They took a real beating, and were so easy to use. My workers were not easy on them lol.

btw, don't get the self feeding head, they tend to let too much cord out or have problems. I tried them one year and only lasted a week with me. But then again, we were pretty rough lol.

to be a freelance web designer

Square Foot Gardening