Petrol in diesel again!

nightjar

Well I drive one. The land rover. But all cars rattle to an extent. Its goes with theterritory of valves, tappets etc etc, and modern lean burn petrolengines are run to the point of detonation too.

Modsern diesle by the way, that use advanced multi-pulse injection, don't detonate at low throttle the way traditional ones do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most modern petrol engines will have knock sensors - the purpose of which is to avoid detonation.

A neighbour has the same car as me only diesel. It wakes up the street when he starts up. ;-) It's fine on the move though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hello Jack

wifetrader.co.uk /ought/ to exist, if it doesn't already.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Hello Hellraiser

My step father put 40 quids worth of unleaded in a 7.5tonne lorry once. Even he can't understand how he did it.

Show how well trained the forecourt monkeys are, that they can blindly punch a button without looking to see whether the guy actually has a vehicle and isn't about to immolate himself for kicks. (Almost happened at a Jet station recently)

Reply to
Simon Avery

A bucket! This is a full tank of diesel contaminated Petrol.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks to everyone who replied. Particular thanks to Andy Dingley, Dave Plowman and The Natural Philosopher. I am absolutely sure that it helped when I rang the dealer and said "So I guess you'll be draining the fuel tank, replacing the filters, and bleed the fuel system from up front? Oh

- and check the fuel pump when you check for any other (unlikely) damage would you?". There was an audible silence (!) on the phone when I said that - I think they might have tried it on otherwise.

The car is now back - and no major damage. The Natural P also got it spot on - the bill for parts was approximately 15 pounds. The bill for labour was approximately 960 pounds! Many will think we got what we deserved! We are currently exploring the "issues" with the insurance company.

I could offer many comments on other remarks in the thread - however I choose not to. I am just pleased that once again the advice I obtained here was genuinely useful - and I am simply awed by the presence of contributors who are clearly immune from human error.

Reply to
Matthew Barnard

Lots of military vehicle collectors (those with multifuel engines) use petrol/diesel mix from the RAC or AA, after they've drained it from this sort of mis-filled tank. You can't burn it as heating oil (petrol is too flammable), you can't run a sensible engine on it, and it's an expensive disposal problem otherwise.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Blimey!

How many hours was that???

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Well, London BMW dealers charge over 100 quid an hour, so I'd guess M-B is the same. Still seems a lot of labour, though - I'd have thought this such a common problem they'd have a way of just flushing it through - and a small amount of petrol left wouldn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

'leeding 'ell. I'm in the wrong job!

*BUT* I bet the grease monkeys that actually *do* the work don't get anything like that, wouldn't be at all surprised if it was =A310/hr or less.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'leeding 'ell. I'm in the wrong job!

*BUT* I bet the grease monkeys that actually *do* the work don't get anything like that, wouldn't be at all surprised if it was £10/hr or less.

Yup, probably true.

They're mostly run on bonus schemes - finish jobs under the ticketed time and there's bonus in it. The problem for the poor punter is that just about all jobs have an allotted time - for instance new alternator could be down as 1 hour. If they go significantly over you'll bet that they will chase you for extra labour, but if it only takes them 10 mins you can be sure that you won't see a reduction in your bill.

My brother used to be a Renault technician - he was earning relatively well for the location (York) and his age. Does hell of a lot better rescuing folks with crippled Land Rovers, Jags and the like now, though.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

We keep a container for this type of thing and use it to start bonfires. If it is s little high on dirty petrol then it is leavened with heating oil.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann