petrol in diesel tank

Ive just put 2 litres of perol in my diesel tank. i filled tank right up with 70 litres of diesel in the hope that the petrol will be on the top and i can syphon it off .
Advice please
parts
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEbundy.co.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How new's the car?
If it's not a modern common rail diesel, then just drive it. If it is, you'll PROBABLY be OK, but I think I'd rather play safe and drain the tank. Forget trying to separate the two.
Adrian wrote:

Even if it is common rail, it should be OK for one tank at less than 5% adulteration.
No fractional distillate at commercial rates is a 'pure' kerosene..there is always and admixture of some heavier and some lighter fractions. In fact diesel and kerosene are slightly different pulls of the distillates anyway, and most diesels will happily run on either.
Id be less happy about the additives in petrol, but these are small percentages, so a small percentage of an even smaller percentage..nah. Run it.
Might clatter a bit more than usual, but burn it, and keep topping up with fresh diesel at half tank mark. Lets face it, if people run on chip oil, a dash of petrol wont screw it.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

My brother in law put petrol in his common rail diesel Citroen Berlingo and ran it until the engine stopped. I was sure that it was going to be knackered. After draining and refilling its been fine ever since.
I would agree that at that low level of contamination it's probably going to be fine.
Tim
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEbundy.co.uk wrote:

That will run OK.
They will in fact mix.

been there, done that, ignored it. the petrol will mix with the diesel and do nothing harmful as long as its unleaded.

What's special with leaded petrol that would cause harm?

It would probably destroy the catalytic converter - just as it would in a car with a petrol engine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

No, it won't. Apart from most diesels not having "cats", those that do work on a completely different principle that isn't susceptible to lead poisoning.
Far more likely is damage to the pump on a common rail diesel from lack of lubrication.
B'sides, if you find the handful of suppliers of leaded these days, you're going to have such a serious double-take at the price that you won't make the error...
Roger Mills wrote:

Never seen a diesel with a catalytic converter yet, apart from the odd bus.

Peugeot range of diesels have cats although there have been cases mentioned on alt.autos.peugeot where they have been removed and the car remained legal and happily passed MOTs. I believe most other makes have them as well.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter
My Corsa has one along with dire warnings in the handbook about ignoring the warning light more than twice. I have to maintain 2000rpm for twenty minutes to burn off the "particulates".
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

A particulate filter is not a catalytic converter.
And they are not mandatory, and are not fitted universally.
I wish they were.

I don't believe you. Unless you're actually blind, you've seen loads. Whether you knew they had them is a different matter...

I must have been ripped off then. It cost me over 600 to replace the catalytic converter on my 1999 Volvo V70 2.5D when it failed!
--
Cheers,
Roger

No, you were replaced over £600 to replace the particulate filter.

I bet you see several a day but don't know. All Astra common rail ones have a cat to start with.
dennis@home wrote:

I bet they are actually particulate filters.

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/vauxhall-diesel-catalytic-converter.php
Pay up.
Clive George wrote:

One all. Its both ;-)