Petition to oppose Blair's Knighthood

If anyone is looking for the petition to stop the Knighthood, it's here

-

Harry Bloomfield Esq

If it's not on

why are journos banging on about forcing a debate in parliament for gathering more that 100k signatures, it's even more lame than the 'official' ones ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

can't host it because it's nothing to do with Parliament or the government, and can't be debated there. It's bestowed directly by the Queen. If you want to complain, you need to write to the Queen.

change.org is a waste of time. Parliament has said before that if you want a political issue discussed, it has to be on

- they won't discuss online petitions elsewhere.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The same man that suggested vaccinate as many people as possible as possible with a first dose

Smart bloke.

Reply to
ARW

So, basically telling he Queen that somebody she sees as a personal friend shouldn't have an honour that only she can bestow. Good luck with that.

Reply to
nightjar

Longer than usual gap, there was a bit of tension in 1997 IIRC. I suspect history will judge him a bit better than most of his current critics. The Julius Caesar effect:

?The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones.?

Reply to
newshound

Not with awards of the Garter, it seems.

Reply to
JNugent

Maybe the Queen has now forgiven Blair for getting her to lower the flag on Buckingham Palace when Princess Diana died. I think the flag is normally only lowered when the monarch dies.

Reply to
Michael Chare

To be honest I don't really care. They are irrelevant in any case. Despite some blunders which most leaders do make, I actually like the chap. I think we have to look on both sides of the coin on this sort of thing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The honour in question is different from other Orders. As has been widely reported, Knights of the Garter are chosen personally by the Sovereign.

Reply to
Robin

It signifies whether the monarch is in residence or not. Lowering that particular flag to half-mast had no meaning at all.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What Good? The Bad: Wars, Financial Crisis, PFI, NHS reorganisation, lack of immigration controls after EU enlargement...

Most of the good things that happened during his tenure, were incidental to him being in charge. He was handed a booming economy and squandered the favourable tax income.

This isn't a political ideological point, he was operationally incompetent.

Reply to
Pancho

I'm sure they'd welcome you with open arms.

Reply to
AnthonyL

booming economy, dont think so, interest rates were previously approx 15%

Reply to
critcher

That was during the recovery from the terrible state that the Conservatives inherited in 1979. It was booming by the time Labour got back in in '97.

Reply to
Steve Walker

BoatyMcBoatFace, anyone? Has any of these petitions ever achieved anything?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And limited to 24, with a space having been created by the death of Prince Philip

Reply to
bert

I did read somewhere that she wasn't particularly enamoured with Mr Blair.

Reply to
bert

No, but interesting....destroying a long sovereignty for Bliar.

Reply to
Sysadmin