Do I have to do everything myself?

A contractor that I've hired in the past had some instant lawn (i.e. rolled up lawn) left over from another job, and offered to lay it for me on my path (for free). I said that the path wasn't ready, but he insisted that he had an expert layer to do the job. I was away that day, and the new lawn looked nice. After a few weeks the grass started to die. I watered it every day but there were large patches that wouldn't grow. P.S. it's summer here!

Next door, more instant lawn was delivered on a pallet using a huge truck. Apparently that was the wrong stuff so the truck came back with more lawn and took away the old lot. That took an hour or so. I said to those contractors that if they had any lawn left over I would get rid of it for them. Sure enough there were quite a few square metres of lawn left over, because most people can't work out areas properly, even for a simple retangular shape.

I was going to insert the new lawn in place of the dead patches in my path. I dug up the dead bits, to find that my contractor had left the path as it was, with a plastic membrane on it and covered with scoria. So, no soil. Also under the lawn were two squashed 2-litre mik bottles and about 10 bricks and assorted bits of concrete.

I have spent a day digging up all the old grass, removing the plastic and scoria and rubbish, putting in fresh soil and laying the new instant lawn. It looks really good! I know nothing about laying lawns but I can do a better job than a professional (well those ones anyway).

Reply to
Matty F

Unfortunately, Britain has far too many cowboys and not enough sheriffs. Apart from programmes like Watchdog and Face the Facts, the cowboys can rip people off left, right and centre. And even W and FtF only cherry pick the "best" examples.

I reckon the standard of work is abysmally low, due, probably, to the lack of proper apprenticeships like in the 1960s. Also there are people setting themselves up as handymen who don't know one end of a spanner from the other. Earlier this year, "my" heating engineer, who purportedly had "done the course" wanted to syphon some heating oil from the tank with which to prime the pump and he didn't know that the tube end has to be *below* the level in the tank! He kind of thought that you just stuck the tube in and sucked and fluid would simply flow out, uphill, even.

I have put off the planning of several potential projects because I am fearful of what rip-offs might face me. But the time will come when I shall be too old for DIY and that's when the real cowboys will descend like a plague of locusts.

MM

Reply to
MM

For the OP's location, possibly try New Zealand rather than Britain - there are a few clues in his post to suggest that he is not residing in this country.

person: IP Administrator address: Telecom Internet Registry address: Level 9, Mayoral Drive BLDG address: Private Bag 92028 address: Auckland country: NZ phone: +64-9-355-4052 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@ggi.net.nz nic-hdl: IA42-AP mnt-by: NZTELECOM changed: snipped-for-privacy@netgate.net.nz 20070911 source: APNIC

Reply to
Woodworm

I know professional carpet fitters with the same attitude:-)

-- Adam

Reply to
Adam Wadsworth

I'm very disappointed I haven't found an F West Garden Services anywhere online

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Matty is well know to the regulars, not quite sure why the kiwis don't use the word 'turf' through ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain saying something like:

"Arr, it be aboiut thiz time o' year, yer wants to think about plantin' some bodies..."

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I thought my comment about it being summer would be a clue. How's the weather in the UK? Nice and sunny like here, and a suitable time to plant grass? :)

Reply to
Matty F

I'll swap you countries for a few weeks Matty. I'm up to my neck in snow and ice here and the only gardening I've done lately is to plough my way through snow to clear the footpaths around the house - I wish I'd emigrated to NZ way back in the early seventies now when we'd thought of abandoning the 'old country' for better climates.

Enjoy the gardening and have a nice Christmas - in the warm you lucky sod. :-)

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

Reminds me of the old joke about the chap showing his mate round his new house. Every time he got to a window he would open it and yell out "Green side up!" Eventually the friend asked why? And the response was: "they're laying the lawn today."

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Don't parts of NZ have horizontal rain?

Billy Connoly said so anyway...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim,

Yep they do - or at least they did when we were looking at the information on emigrating there way back in the early seventies.

From memory I believe the South Island had a climate more like this country, while the North was drier and warmer (I stand to be corrected on this as the old memory certainly isn't what it was).

But at the time, the warmer summers, and apparently better working and living conditions, appealed to a newly married couple, and we were all set to go until SWMBO found out that she was carrying our eldest - and emigration plans went by the board.

And something I very occasionally regretted as I got older, was that we never resurrected those plans [1] - that's life I suppose?

[1] Especially when things got a little hard during Thatcher's years of power - and again now since these ConDem idiots (and sons of Thatcher, Cameron and Osborne} have raised her spectre again.

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

NZ is about the size of the UK, so the climate varies a lot. I'm in a very sheltered and warm area. I can leave sheets of corrugated iron lying around and they don't even move in a storm. Northland can get a bit hot and dry. They have just had their first rain in two years.

I think the Auckland region has the best climate. I can grow grapes and bananas here. It's not hot enough to need an air conditioner, and I turn an electric heater on sometimes in the winter. I havn't seen a decent frost on the ground for 20 years, and certainly no snow. No earthquakes or volcanic eruptions either.

South of Auckland it can get cold in winter, except maybe Nelson. The east of the South Island can be very dry while the west and deep south is very wet.

Reply to
Matty F

What would you do instead then? Or do you think its OK for the country to go on living on tick?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim,

That's a fallacy that the country is living on tick that's out of control - you do it all the time with credit cards, loans and mortgages which you pay back over a number of years (only the figures are smaller), and is your borrowing out of control?.

Especially since the ConDems applied under the freedom of information act to gain access to the files of Gordon Brown on how repay the loans and get the country working again - that proves that they know not what they are doing.

Remember one thing, it was the Tory wankers (sorry bankers) that got us into the 'tick' situation that we are now in and it's the knee-jerk reaction of the liars that are now in power that's pushing up our cost of living and reducing our quality of life.

VAT going up on everything that's taxable (apart from gas and electricity), jobs being cut both in the public *AND* private sector (and remember, these goons are relying on SME's to take up the slack of public job losses), attacks on the NHS, police force , armed services and public services {and student fees] and further privatisatons to blood foreign countries yet again - after catagorical promises that they would not be touch many of these in their respective election manifestos - the list is endless, and come back in a years time and tell us if you think this country is better off, if you actually have a job!

As before, this government think sod-all of the electorate, they only think of lining the pockets of their million and billionaire cronies.

Liars and damn liars are this ConDem coalition govenment and exactly the same ilk as Thatcher's mob - and I existed (not lived) through here policies bringing up a family and not knowing whether I would be in work from one day to the next.

For all their faults, Labour (even under Blaire) did far more for the general public than ever this lying government will ever do - roll on the

*peaceful* protests and maybe, just maybe we may have a change in the not to distant future.

Wake up and smell the rot around you that's setting in - and if you voted Liberal Democrat or Conservative at the last election, you deserve everything that's coming to you as this government will do everything in its power to change the election laws to give fixed-term parliaments. And in five years that will be a lot of damage.

Labour wasn't perfect, but with Brown in charge, they were starting to sort things out - until greedy wankers (bankers) got out of control with their illogical lending and forced the diversion of funds and high borrowing (by the government of the time) that bailed-out the wankers (bankers) and saved the funds that you had deposited with them.

Learn your history and take the blinkers off.

Goodnight - and these are my last words on the subject.

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

Thankfully, given what utter tosh they were.

Reply to
Huge

Actually it's pissing down as we speak (vertically though).

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The difference is that those loans/credit were/are paid back. At present we pay more on interest on the national debt (doubled under Labour) than on education and defence put together. That'll get a lot worse if nothing is done, which is why there are cuts, which are not a huge amount more than Labour itself was planning.

Ah the bankers that Blair and Mandy loved so much!

What a charlatan and political crook Blair was, eh? Certainly needed to count one's fingers after shaking *his* hand.

Rot set in a long time ago, when Labour created millions of non-jobs in the public sector to do paper shuffling and target counting.

My arse. Brown was the worst prime minister this country has ever had.

And yes, the banks made loans to all sorts of people they shouldn't have. But I didn't notice anyone in the last government discouraging them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Matty F wrote: .

Damn, it's a paradise... !

Reply to
Steve Walker

Agreed.

Disagree. Labour were a completely incompetent bunch married to the usual amount of self-interest. Anyone who wants to be a politician should automatically be banned from becoming one IMHO.

Personally I am in favour of fixed term parliaments (maybe less than 5 years tho) to stop governments manipulating the election date to suit themselves.

Labour were a big supporter of the greedy w^^^bankers.

Good advice.

Reply to
Mark