Pedestal sink question

I have a pedestal sink in the bathroom with a pop-up waste plug. With the plug completely removed I accidentally dropped something small down the plug hole. I assumed it would be an easy job to remove the U trap for recovery, but with the sink pedestal in place it's almost impossible to get my hands on the waste system.

Now I would like to know - if I unscrew the pedestal at the floor and remove it, will the sink need temporary additional support. I realize that it is screwed to the wall, and partly held up by the plumbing, but I don't want to break it.

The design is attractive, but seems ridiculous for maintenance...

David

Reply to
David J

I'm not a plumber, but if I was doing the job I'd either support the basin, or if possible remove it and refix it after I'd done the job.

Reply to
fido

Yes, it probably will need some support when you remove the pedestal. Generally, the screws that fix the basin to the wall are only there to stop it coming away from the wall, they are quite small for such a weight. I have never come across a pedestal that can be removed without first loosening the basin - the basin has to be lifted slightly to allow the pedestal to slide out. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thus spake David J ( snipped-for-privacy@btelecom.invalid) unto the assembled multitudes:

I may be too late and you've already solved the problem, but have you considered one of those tools that allow you to grab something from an inaccessible place - it's basically a flexible cable with hooks on the end which splay out when you push a trigger, and which close up again when you release the trigger. Great for recovering small items dropped into holes. I used mine in exactly the same circumstances as yourself. It can take a few attempts but might prevent the need to take anything apart.

Reply to
A.Clews

I was able to carefully rotate my pedestal to give me access to the trap. The basin was supported at all times and I only moved it enough to give me working space. It was screwed to the floor.

Reply to
John

Not too late...I'm still pondering about the way to go here.

I have tried something similar from my car tool bag - a long spring device with a magnet on the end for retrieving dropped screws, etc. Unfortunately this dropped item is not ferric. Your gadget sounds excellent!

I think I'll have a go at John's suggestion of uscrewing and rotating the pedestal enough to get my fingers on the waste pipe. An inch might be enough. Thanks for all the replies

David

Reply to
David J

that these sinks are surprisingly heavy

NT

Reply to
NT

Thus spake David J ( snipped-for-privacy@btelecom.invalid) unto the assembled multitudes:

I can't remember what the damn thing is actually called, but a stab-in-the-dark Google for "tool for grabbing small items" eventually turned this up:

Mine is very similar. Can't find any UK websites selling it, unfortunately. I bought mine at a tool sale in my local community hall some years ago.

Good luck.

Reply to
A.Clews

snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Adrian

matches!

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Thus spake Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Reply to
A.Clews

Update. Unscrewed the pedestal from the floor. It refuses to rotate!

Then I noticed that the sink is bedded on to the top of the pedestal via a thin layer of mastic (or something similar?) Maybe I could use a cutting wire to clear it out. But then it would have to be re-bedded somehow.

This is getting ridiculous - I dont want to loosen the sink from the wall to separate the two items.

Change of plan. I'm sending away for one of those flexy-grabby tools I've been shown here, and I'll go fishing....

David

Reply to
David J

Thus spake David J ( snipped-for-privacy@btelecom.invalid) unto the assembled multitudes: