Moving Electric Sockets about one foot.

My brother has moved in to a new (to him) house.

The house has been rewired in I guess the last 10 years.

Many of the 13Amp sockets are mounted on the skirting board - (boxes - not flush mounted).

He (with my help) would like to move them about 1 foot up the wall.

There is no slack in the cables serving the existing sockets.

What is the correct way to do this.

Reply to
william

Crimp on connectors and more wire, and IMHO plenty of insulating tape.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you need a junction to new cable where the existing sockts are. It can be crimped and buried, or screwed and accessible. You might consider recessing the existing sockets and adding the new ones as well - that way you end up with more sockets.

NT

Reply to
NT

Given you're going to make quite a mess chasing into walls, etc, if it has an ordinary suspended wood floor that the existing cables run through, I'd replace the cables with new ones of the correct length. Leaving just the feed and return cables to be jointed, if necessary. Any connection between cables will be the weak point in the circuit so they are best kept to a minimum.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it possible to make the joint below the floor. This way there will be nothing remaining on the skirting. I find it a bit hard to believe that someone would fit sockets to a skirting board within the last 10 years.

Reply to
John

Sure, if you can physically get there. IOW it'll mean taking a fair amount of floor up. Since it'll be inaccessible it'll need to be crimped or soldered, for crimping you need a proper ratchet tool. If you're not familiar with soldering and its issues I'd pick crimping.

NT

Reply to
NT

Crimped joints in heatshrink would probably be the way to go, especially if the joins are going to be in plastered over chases:

John Rumm

Many thanks to all responders - much appreciated.

(For John's benefit : I was not lying - the sockets were added to the skirting board in the last ten years. I fail to see why that was difficult to believe. People do make bodged jobs you know)

Reply to
william

I would concur - keep the number of unnecessary connections to a minimum; especially inaccessible ones. Now's a good chance to reassess the number of and locations of the existing sockets.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Was thinking about this the other day as I've a couple of sockets on the skirting board that I'd like to shift one day (not in the near future but...)

Given the house is wired in old colours, and any cable I used to move the socket up the wall would be new colours, it doesn't seem ideal to bury a crimped connection in the wall - effectively leaving the two cable ends different colours with a hidden join.

Is this permitted? Seems a bad idea if so.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

People can even have good reason for doing so - I recently tidied up our living room cabling by installing various satellite, aerial and network sockets - all are in surface boxes on the skirting, as the room is not in need of decorating and direct access to the boxes was available from under the suspended floor. To have done it "properly" would have meant redecorating a 25' x 11' living room (which is our only living room) while trying to work around three kids aged from 2 to 6! Never mind the cost of re-doing a room that shouldn't need more that a coat or paint for the next decade or so!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I would crimp even though I can solder.