MOVING sockets in the kitchen

Me again.

With all the regulations am I allowed to simply move sockets/switches in the kitchen? - I am not adding spurs or so - simply relocating sockets. We will take plasterboard walls down and then sockets/ switches will be dangling in the air obviously in need of fixing somewhere else.

May I shorten an exiting cable ?

May I extend an exiting cable ?

After the work is done I'll have a leccy coming in in connection with relocating an outside meter box.

The reason for all these questions is because I have got a quote of a little over 2500 GBP for moving about 5 sockets, - shifting the CU 1/2 meter to the left and reconnecting the wiring to the outside meterbox after the supplier has moved it less than a meter. - I though that was a bit expensive and want to do as much as I can myself - I have wired a whole loft conversion already ( 8 double sockets and some1, 2 and 3 way switches) - so I need a leccy to test and issue a minor works certificate for that as well. BTW how much can I expect to pay for that ?

Cheers Larry

Reply to
elpee

[...]

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

Shifting a CU is not a small job.

You can do all (except connections to the meter) of it yourself provided you make a part P application to your local council.

Electricians won't issue a minor works certificate for work they haven't done. You can ask for a Periodic Inspection Report but that won't cover you for Part P. Was the loft conversion approved for building regulations and was the wiring included in that application, in which case the council is responsible for issuing the Part P compliance?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Assuming the loft conversion already has a building notice or full plans submission the the council anyway, it is reasonable to assume that it is their responsibility to carry out any testing they require prior to issuing certificates. (obviously you would do your own testing for your own piece of mind).

Even if you had to submit a separate building notice, that is going to be *significantly* less than 2.5k!

If the council mutter about wanting to charge you extra for testing, then just remind them to go re-read section 1.26 in part P.

Reply to
John Rumm