Payback time on new boilers

IMM only quotes maker's specs without any understanding of how they are arrived at. And doesn't understand economics either. In other words, an ad man's dream customer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

< snip drivel >
Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

Snip DIMM - ha ha Darwinism at work

Reply to
raden

It's actually worse than that. The quotes are from marketing information presented to look like a spec. but having more than a smidgeon of poetic licence.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Maxie, have you been doing things to Dim Lin the Oriental Enchantress?

Reply to
IMM

How do you know? You are making things up again.

Reply to
IMM

I'm waiting for someone on here to say they've had a 40% reduction in their heating bills when changing to a condensing boiler.

Out of the dozen or so I know of personally, the *best* is 25%.

The worst - which was a reasonably well controlled system with a Potterton Neataheat managed under 10%. And is unlikely to ever pay back the capital cost given the poor likely life of many modern boilers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't have difficulty spotting phonies and misleading information.

Figures presented outside the format of a formalised data table, and even some in one, should always questions about what is left unsaid.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I get between 25 and 28% with everything normalised as much as possible, but that was relative to a 65% lightweight one and controls were also improved.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd expect you to get near the maximum given your understanding of correct controls.

My point is few would have put up with a basic open flue system with no controls and suddenly change to a sophisticated modern one - unless moving house. In which case they wouldn't have accurate figures for the old system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
IMM

I got c. 30%, and also a customer, however the 'before' in both cases was an open flue, permanent pilot, cast iron unit (Concord or G/W BBU). No control of HW and a cylinder with a tatty jacket.

Reply to
Ed Sirett