ODPM admits Part P consulation flawed

Fwom:timycelyn ( snipped-for-privacy@noway.com)

[Sigh] The >problem is that there are clowns out there, who ought to have

something

biological done to them with theri screwdrivers. Take the farmer I bought >off 10 years ago. He had connected up his outbuildings with

under-rated

buried cables, when he needed to join them he brought them above

surface to

a domestic junction box mounted on a dinky little wooden post (it was >weatherproof, it had a slowly perishing Tesco carrier bag taped over it!!). >The wiring in the house roof space was rubber so perished that the live >conductor showed through in places, and he had gone mad with

chocolate

blocks as well. I reckon he should have been nominated for some sort of >prize.

Couldnt have picked a worse brand of carrier bag: tesco are designed to disintegrate; in under 2 years theyre a pile of pieces.

Part take-the-p does not of course have any effect on clowns like that.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Indeed - but then I guess it was never intended to - it's just the closed shop by another name...

Tim

(still seething)

Reply to
timycelyn

It isn't part of a dwelling then so presumably part P doesn't apply?

Reply to
John

Really - do tell me some more, as I'm still rewiring some of these outbuildings and will, no doubt, be doing it for the next few years on and off...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
timycelyn

Hmm. Building control meets farm wiring. That would be a horror story.

"Now Mr BCO, would you like to test this electrified cow fence ?"

Reply to
Mike

SNIP

Notice the question mark ?

serious though I was under the distinct impression that part P does not apply to non-domestic work - others may be able to comment further. Agriculture is an industry so your buildings are non domestic. However the requirements of the wiring regs should be stringently applied

Reply to
John

"John" wrote | >> It isn't part of a dwelling then so presumably part P doesn't apply? | > Really - do tell me some more, as I'm still rewiring some of these | > outbuildings and will, no doubt, be doing it for the next few years on and | > off... | Notice the question mark ? | serious though I was under the distinct impression that part P does not | apply to non-domestic work - others may be able to comment further.

AIUI Part P does apply to outbuildings if supplied from a dwelling, which might be the case. Only if the outbuildings are separately metered from a separate service intake would they be exempt.

| Agriculture is an industry so your buildings are non domestic. However | the requirements of the wiring regs should be stringently applied

To which point:

  1. There are specific IRR regs for agricultural installations
  2. The Electricity at Work Regulations may well also apply

Owain

Reply to
Owain

This is correct. But it doesn't have to be the IEE wiring regs that are used and on which Part P is based. Any IEC approved standard is acceptable.

Reply to
Mike

Yes, pretty mind - boggling! I suspect (away from the big concerns with employees, anyway) that there's a tacit ' Keep you nose fairly clean (well, clean-ish) and we'll keep away' because they know trying to enforce the letter of the regulation on most smaller farms would be opening up a very large can of rattlesnakes. Plus they would find it difficult to get access, and unlike suburbia most things that go on on a farm are hidden safely from public view. Of couse, this not only applies to Part P (may it drown unlamented in the nearest slurry pit) but many other things nominally controlled by BCOs on farms. The trouble ususally only starts if some farmer gets it horribly wrong and some fairly public incident results. Long may it continue - an upside of living in the country, I suppose.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
timycelyn