Patching up blown concrete sides of prefab garage

Any ideas on best way of patching up the side of a concrete section garage that have blown.

The steel reinforcing has corroded and thus cracking the concrete, letting water in a bit more, freezing etc etc, and then large patches of concrete flake off.

Any ideas to repair it to make it last a few more years.

Reply to
gray

Visually it will just get worse, but structurally they can last a very long time even with quite extensive spalling. Not sure if that is a good thing - or a bad thing :-)

It means you can decide when to demolish it rather than walking out one day to find it has become knee height crazy paving.

Reply to
js.b1

Many houses ago - we purchased an ex-mod bungalow that was biult with 'concrete portal frames' (it was cheap! ) These were the same sort of thing as your garage - metal reinforcement within the concrete - and they had 'spalled' in places.

Requirement of the mortgage was to get the professionally treated. Builder hacked off the loose concrete, painted the exposed reinforcement with a rustproofing compound and then filled the cavity with some kind of epoxy cement, and re-painted. Worked fine for the three years or so that we were there...

Problem is caused by the metal going rusty and expanding - which pushes the concrete apart. If the garage is painted, then it wouldn't really matter what you used for the patching ...... so long as it bonded well to the existing. Having tried to break up a bunch of old, metal-exposed, garage panels - I can confirm thatthere's no danger of them falling apart!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall