party wall

BigWallop wrote:

Isn't it just.
Nor did a lot of people actually read the OP's question.
MBQ
Al Reynolds wrote:

OK, I didn't phrase it very well, but what I said still holds true "It's quite clear from the OP that he wants to avoid this by building away from the boundary". So the answer to his question "How far from the boundry line can I build without having to seek his permission" is 3m then.
MBQ

Yes, the bit you didn't phrase very well was the bit where you said "The party wall act only applies to party walls." which was of course, completely incorrect. As the respondent to the OP said, he needs to conform to the Party Wall Act. We all need to conform to this Act - it's the law.
Al
Al Reynolds wrote:

The OP said (paraphrasing) that he wants to avoid getting caught up in anything that involves his neighbour. Yes, in a very general sense we all have to conform to the act, but if he builds far enough away from the boundary then the party wall act has no relevance to his situation and he does not need his neighbours permission to build an extension.
MBQ

He never needs the neighbour's permission for the extension. The neighbour can withhold permission all he likes, and you can still build right up to the boundary line. You can even get an injuction allowing you to enter their land to do so under some circumstances.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Sorry, badly phrased again. I said as much in another part of the thread.
MBQ
Al Reynolds wrote:

Not quite. If you are excavating within 3m and lower that your neighbours foundations or within 6m if you are excavating lower than a line drawn at 45 degrees downwards from the bottom of neighbours foundations.
MBQ

True, but foundations for a new extension will almost always be deeper than for the house it is attached to, because of changes in building control. For the second requirement to apply (outside 3m), his foundations would need to be 3m deeper than the neighbour's foundations. This also seems pretty unlikely, if the houses are on the same level.
Al
Al Reynolds wrote:

True, but irrelevant. It's the depth of the neighbours foundations that apply. The nearest point of the neighbours structure may itself be a new extension with deeper foundations.
MBQ
nthng2snet wrote:

Do take account of any overhang of the roof of your new extension. A friend of mine didn't. At the last minute it was pointed out that the new roof would overhang the (reasonable) neighbour's by at least 15" (inc gutter). The plans had to be hastily modified to move the new wall back and changes/delay worked out quite expensive.
Thanks for some of the replies.
Other than http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_600574.hcsp
Some other sites I have found that may be usefull for others. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/ http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/1996040.htm http://www.rics.org/Property/Propertymanagement/party_walls.htm http://www.onlineplanningoffices.co.uk/frames.htm
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:38:20 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
keyboard and produced:

IANAPartyWallSurveyor, but a neighbour can't withhold permission (under the Party Wall Act) for an extension on your land, just ensure that it's constructed to avoid damage to his. See the info on the PWA on the ODPM site.
You would need his permission to carry out the building operation across your boundary, as well as for any gutters, eaves, etc. that hang over. This would be civil law, and I doubt would be on a gov. website.
--
Hugo Nebula
uk.legal may also assist with legal aspects to this enquiry
SiGreen10 wrote:

I wouldn't give you tuppence for uk.legal, but uk.legal.moderated might be a bit more productive. That's a *might*.
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

This one?
http://www.partywallact.info /
David