Part J: Air Supply Calcs...

"Other appliance, such as a stove, cooker or boiler, with no flue draught stabiliser."

needs

"A permanent air entry opening or openings with a total free area of at least 550mm2 per kW of appliance rated output above 5kW."

This is 5.5cm2 in my case ... am I getting this right as it seems miniscule?

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

I think you're mixing up your measurements. Remember that 1cm2 is not

10mm2 but 100mm2 (10mm by 10mm).

Never having done this calculation before, is the regulation stating that you need 1x550mm2 or 6x550mm2? If the former then is there a separate regulation for appliances of 5kW and under as otherwise the regulation seems to imply no air opening is necessary for those.

HTH

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

So 550mm2 / 100mm2(1cm2) = 5.5.

Is that not 5.5cm2? This is basic math I know, but maybe I am having a bad day (6 month old son woke me at 4am)?

IMO wording indicates 1x550mm2 as other parts of the table (not applicable to my situ) state first 5kw and balance of ouput figures.

This is why I am asking the question though as a sanity check!

Ta,

Alex

Reply to
AlexW

This is plausible. For a gas appliance the figure would be 4.5cm2 per kW in excess of 7kW. This first 5 or 7 kW is known as adventitious air it is the ventilation you'll get (somehow) even if you draught proof to very high standard.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I think *I*'m getting mixed up! Isn't what I said just exactly what you said?

Sounds like you could ventilate it with a not-quite-fitting door :-)

Where's me coat?

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Yeah ... but its such a small value as to be almost unbelievable, I had to really think about it (several times!) before I did.

Cheers,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Thanks Ed, I think I am happy with my interpretation of this now, as it does indeed sound roughly in line with Gas.

I doubt I ever get to the stoves max. output of 6kw as its a secondary source of heat and given the draughty nature of my house I think finding the extra 5.5cm2 might not be worth it, just to tick the box!

Cheers,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW