Can we use multifuel stove with disconnected back b4oiler as a wood burner?

We've had a combi boiler installed. Our multifuel stove (Charnwoo

DX50iB) has a back boiler which has been drained and disconnected fro the central heating system. Can we use this stove occasionally as wood burner

-- moggies 13

Reply to
moggies 13

You can but you will probably damage the heat exchanger so it won't be any use as a boiler again. Should be fine as a stove

Reply to
Nicknoxx

You also might want to make sure that 'disconnected' does not mean 'and the pipes from the boiler stopped off'.....

Kind of a catch22 situation really - 'cos if the pipes from the back boiler are free to vent any steam etc that'd generated, you need to be prepared for a nasty smell in the house as years of crud burn / boil off the inside of the heat exchanger....

BTDT !

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I have heard it said that you shoul dfill the heat exchanger with sand. i don't know what this is supposed to do though, conduct the heat perhaps.

Robert Laws

Some wood burner boilers are bolted on to the back of the stoves so maybe you could just unbolt and remove it?

HLAH

Thanks to all. The pipes are open and the back boiler won't be use again. We were worried we might damage the fabric of the house, as th stove is set back in the walls

-- moggies 13

Reply to
moggies 13

the received wisdom is to full the boiler with sand. This sort of spreads the heat a bit and acts as a crude insulation barrier as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The perceived wisdom is that this conducts some heat away from the steel casing, thus extending its life and preventing the ingress of combustion products into the room by another two means.

AJH

Reply to
AJH