Parking earth wire

On this occasion the back box doesn't have a terminal for earth.

The 2-gang light switch doesn't have one either.

I presume I should use a single choc-block connector to connect these CPCs?

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes.

Unless you are posh and want to use a wago.

Reply to
ARW

You know we aren't there looking at what you are right? ;-)

If you are asking if you can terminate an unused earth wire in a chock-block (to save it getting into a live connector or some such) I'd guess the answer would be 'yes' (and I'd sleeve it as well). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks, I've always been able to park the wire before in an allocated terminal. I guess this is called progress!

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks, I always sleeve bare wires. I just feel a connector in a back box is a cheesy thing to see.

Reply to
Fredxx

you used to be able to buy earth terminals to add to back boxes (perhaps you still can). I've still got a few. Fine for surface mounted kit, but a bit difficult to retro-fit on stuff that's nicely plastered in.

Reply to
charles
<snip>

Whilst I agree (and there are potentially 'tidyer' alternatives), who apart from you is going to see it?

And who (other than you) might see it and think anything negative?

As long as it's safe, (ideally) to code and as neat as you can make it, ITRW I think that's all you (we) really need?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Leans on old gnarled walking stick... One used to be able to get a blind terminal for earths that one could fix to the bottom of the box with a screw. Maybe they were not considered safe or something if its plastic and broke. My switch boxes in the walls are all metal, now the cleaner discharges her static on all the securing screws! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Whilst there is a regs requirement that unused earth wires are "terminated"[1], its perhaps more important to keep in mind there will be cases where there are more than one cable entering the switch enclosure, so earth *continuity* must be provided between the CPCs of the cables - hence the terminal takes on more importance.

[1] and not just folded back inside some sleeving as I will admit to having done...
Reply to
John Rumm