PANASONIC COMPATIBILITY

You have no idea eitehr hwo complex even an anlogue phone has top be to meet spacs.

Back in the day the GPO had a standard bakelite phone with a carbon microphone in series with the permanent magnet erarpiece, and when it becme BT, scared of actually having their network not work, someone dreamed up a 'circuit' that third party phones had top comply with...that simlated the load of one or more carbon mike phones complete with non linearity etc etc.

ANYTHING like a PABX that coonects to a POTS line still has to have all this built in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Being a pedant, a 4 core lead has to be RJ14 to RJ14. RJ11 is a 6 way plug with 2 pins connected - pair 1 on 3 and 4. RJ14 is a 6 way plug with 4 pins connected - pair 1 on 3 and 4, pair 2 on 2 and 5.

OK, so I have one 2 core lead with 6 way RJxx plugs with 2 pins connected -

2 and 5, i.e. just pair 2. No idea whether than counts a RJ11, RJ14, or whatever.
Reply to
Andrew Benham

I'm just talking about the mechanics of the plugs, e.g. Italian phone plug with three 5mm diameter pins vs Italian mains plug with two 4mm diameter pins.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Of course. Unless an international standard individual countries choose their own connectors, etc. No different from mains or whatever.

The exchange in question works with standard phones. Which isn't to say they won't need the correct connector fitted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SO)ME progress.

Instead of using te tip and ring pair that proviode normal analogue phones on usual BT pins, I switched them to the other set of pins.

The phones are now partially live and I can hear dial tones in the handset BUT there is a backround whoosh whoosh noise.

And they are not communicating with the PABX. Can't ring anything and they register as permently off hook if I try to ring them...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

... British 2A mains plug with three 5mm diameter pins

That one always amuses me

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On 18:50 11 Oct 2018, The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:ppo2he$osd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

If I have some faulty phones, I would sell them as a job lot and hope some punter comes along. What did you pay for thse phones?

Reply to
Pamela

I doubt you'd get the phone plug to fit the mains socket though :)

But it's no wonder the UK is just about the safest place for mains electrics.

Somewhere, possibly Denmark was rumoured to be the place that stopped 4mm speaker plugs. Presumably because of unshuttered sockets and a nation that only used plastic knitting needles. Copenhagen Airport is the limit of my travels in Denmark, the SAS business class bar with the pumps on the customer side of the bar and the multiple deicings of aircraft in the depths of winter being the extent of my memories of the place.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Yes that's probably more accurate, but i've always called them RJ11's same as I've always called all similar looking 9, 15, 25, 37 and 50 pin connectors 'D'

Just to complicate things there was also the MMJ plug used on VAX's that was iirc 6 pins possibly the exact same outline as an 'RJ11/14' but with an offset retaining clip.

Reply to
The Other Mike

On 19:10 11 Oct 2018, The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:ppo3n2$qrj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What a mess. Sounds like you're out of your depth.

Reply to
Pamela

IIRC somebody or other (don't remember who) used that plug with the offset clip as a DC supply connector for an answering machine I once had.

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

Well I finally spent 10 miunutes with a meter and have now given up.

Basically the pins that should go to line pins had 25V DC on them and made the phone come half alive when connected to pins 3 & 4 insread of 2 & 5 as is correct for an analogue phone.

The only other pairs that had any voltage on them, were then applied to the 2 & 5 pairs. Both polarities wre tried. The phones didnt work digitally.

Unless pins 1 & 6 are in play I cant see anywhere else to go.

Unless anyone has any other ideas its pack them, up and get a refund

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No Pamela, It ddoesn't. It sounds like you unpleasantt vindictive side is showing again.

The question is merely one of establishing that these phones do or do not work with this particular PABX which they are clained to do.

It seems that they do not.

However being not the sort of arrogant bitch that you are, I always allow that I could have made an error and ask around.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 20:12 16 Oct 2018, The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:pq5d6v$f0k$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The starting point is your geenral arrogance about all technical matters and then it moves on to why you bought a load of junk telephones which you don't have a clue how to wire up properly.

Pride comes before a fall.

Reply to
Pamela

I admire your ability to turn a perfectly sane action, - a well researched purchase of phones that prived to be fundamentally incompatible despite assurances that they were - into incompetence and an inability to actually connect them correctly.

It says far more about you, than me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 08:42 17 Oct 2018, The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:pq6p4h$q9l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Are the phones working yet?

Reply to
Pamela

I have no idea. They will be returned.

I see you are still on your troll trip.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does a standard BT phone work with your PSBX? Are the phones you've bought suitable for connection to a BT line? Obviously with any wiring or internal strapping etc being correct.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

PABX. yes.

No.

Still no.

You really do not understand the first thing about proprietary keyphone/hybrid systems do you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher