phone wires

we seem to have a problem with our phone,in the first box terminals 2 and 5 have the blue and white wires and terminal 3 has orange,then we have a splitter thingy plugged in which one bit goes to broadband and other bit is phone or in our case fax answerphone,the broadband is fine,we get incoming calls ok but when we lift handset we get a dialing tone with gaps,if we dial a number a voice says "number not recognised",i have a sneaky feeling it is our answerphone thats sulking,we have had it since the old king died,it's a panasonic kx f2700 can some kind person help?many tia

Reply to
bob

borrow an ordinary hone from next door and try it with that.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Isn't an interrupted dial tone a 'message waiting' indicator, or something like that?

Have you got some kind of answering-machine service set up with BT, and it's telling you to call in and retrieve the message?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

dial 1571 andcheck if you have a message waitiing on the bt callminder

Reply to
cynic

And while your in at your neighbours, ask them for a full stop to help with the problem. Hopefully they will have one lying around. They tend to break up the signal a bit. They might offer you a comma, but there's quite a lot of them around, especially in some messages...... ;-))

Reply to
SantaUK

wouldn't an angle grinder be as good as a hone?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your local grocer might have some spare punctuation marks that would lower themselves to become commas.

Reply to
PeterC