PANASONIC COMPATIBILITY

Again, see

Red and Green are speech pair.

AFAIK the whole 2-3-4-5 sequence is polarity dependent and any transposition stops the data pair working.

At least, I know if I follow that diagram *my* system works :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I followed that diagram exactly and it did not work but I did not remnove the resistor

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would you care to re-type all that?

Reply to
Graham J

Ah - now that may be interesting.

Currently I have 2 and 5 working for ANALOGUE phones correctly, with the ring being reconstituted via a master socket. I had assumed they would use the same pair for digital,. so I have simply added the wires that were 'left' over on te PABX to 3 & 4, and tried all polarity combiantions.

Are you saying that the wires that used to go to 2 & 5 on the analogue phone, need to go to 3 & 4 on the keyphone?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK so I now understand what you have written.

Presumably your reason for posting is that you cannot find authoritative documentation on how everything should be wired up. Or is it that the documentation you have is wrong? Or that the devices are actually faulty?

Reply to
Graham J

Please remove resistor :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It is some time since I used a KXT308 but I think the wiring is the same as the KXT624.

The Panasonic wiring is designed to match the US convention of wiring the centre pair on a 4 pin RJ11 for voice. On a USA analogue line this allows a second line to be connected to the outer pair if two lines are needed. The BT socket uses the outer pair of 4 for voice with one of the inner pair for ringing.

The KX exchanges were often used with one system phone (for programming) plus conventional analogue phones on extensions. The PABX wiring allowed plug in leads to be used with analogue phones without having to wire plugs and sockets.

The Panasonic socket wiring looking in from the front and with the tab uppermost is :-

2 Data High (H) 3 Voice ("Tip") 4 Voice ("Ring" 5 Data Low (L)

So for voice wiring (non-system analogue phone) 3 and 4 are the voice pair and these would be wired into 2 and 5 on a BT style master socket. A master socket must be used for the ring signal.

For system phones using BT style sockets a slave socket must be used wired with :-

Data H (2) wired to BT 3

3 (Tip) wired to BT 2

4 (Ring) wired to BT 5

Data L (5) to BT 4

(You might need to swap the Data H and L connections - I'm working from memory).

I wired the PABX plug to wire end leads to a Krone block near the exchange and then took the wiring from there to the sockets. This meant the cable US/UK swapping was easily done on the Krone strips without having to wire the extension sockets in non standard ways.

Programming is done using a system phone via "Jack 01".

If you are making up your own leads if you use Cat 5 to 568A wiring standard it will give you a blue pair for voice on the centre 2 connectors (4 and 5) and an orange pair (3 and 6) for data on the next outer pair straddling the orange pair which makes life a bit neater.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Actually I have just tried this with my master socket simulator box.

Adding the test resistor and/or ring cap has no effect. Pressing Earth Recall temporarily disrupts the data stream. Adding a 3k3 resistor in series with wire 3 (which I have to test low Z bells) kills the data stream.

I now wonder if you have faulty cords.

Can you try the phones direct off the PBX with RJ12-RJ12 cords instead of UK style ones?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Well any of the above.

I have phones with 4 wire BT plugs. They are supposed to work with the PABX. To date they don't. I have connected (via strucured cabling system)thosee 4 aires to what seems to be the right pins.

Yet to try is removing EVERY component from my now ex master socket. And flipping polaritries and pairs on the 4 wires

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

First of all thank you for all that.

Yes, I have structured wiring and yes, blue and orange are the pairs in use.

And yes Blue goes to 2 & 5 and orange to 3 & 4 on the BT socket. .

What I haven't yet done is removed the resistor on the BT master,

I assume that the PABX is capable of running all digital phones - not just on extension 1?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That may be the next step.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It hasnt occurred to you taht in fact the phone may not be able to work then? And this is to firmly establish whether that is the case.

Intelligence was never your strong point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why? It's a simple question. Pnasonic support vclaims that model of phone is compatible with that model of PABX. There are only 8 possible combinations of 2 pairs of wires . I have tried them all. The phones don't work. I just want confirmation before I return them as incompatible.

Or broken.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, you can use all "digital" phones (pedantically hybrid system phones) as long as you use 4 wires and BT secondary sockets. The PABX was aimed at small companies where the high cost of system phones influenced choice of PABX so compatibility with simple analogue phones and ability to use pre-made leads was a selling point.

Reply to
Peter Parry

You've bought ones which are case only - no electronics? ;-)

Perhaps you've bought kid's toys by mistake?

Basic telephony is pretty well the same world wide. Except in Turnip land.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And on Panasonic's proprietary telephone interface.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, with 2 & 5 on the RJ11 being the optional 'digital' connection for feature phones. A straight RJ11 to RJ11 4 core lead direct from the phone to the socket on the line card of the exchange should work.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Sssh. He doesn't like being shown up to be very ignorant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is, but pinouts vary enormously even when it's just the analogue domain. I lived / worked in six European countries (Norway, Sweden, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland) plus the USA and the UK throughout the 1990's and I always had to cart around a bunch of adaptors to cater for the laptop for fax / fledgling internet / dial up company network access. Plugging an analogue dial up modem into a digital only line in your hotel room doesn't work either :)

PABX's that permit analogue phone and 'digital' featurephones have their own unique methods of connection. Mix that with the BT interface (4 and 6 wire versions) or RJ45 sockets and plug in adaptors to the local phone connector standard and it's very easy to get no connection, or no incoming ringing. A multimeter helps to some extent

Reply to
The Other Mike

Some of which put the mains plugs of their respective countries to shame...

Reply to
Andy Burns